Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Thinking of breeding cichlids

More
28 Mar 2007 15:29 #1 by McQuaid (Mark McQuaid)
Hi all

Im thinking of breeding cichlids, are they handy enough to breed for a beginner?? much equitment needed?? what size tank is reccomended??

240 litre mixture of cichlids

55 litre marine tank currently holding a few coral and clean up crew

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2007 15:34 #2 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Thinking of breeding cichlids
Depends what you want to breed.

More
28 Mar 2007 15:38 #3 by McQuaid (Mark McQuaid)
you see i dont know.....what would you reccomend??

More
28 Mar 2007 15:39 #4 by McQuaid (Mark McQuaid)
some nice and easy then hopefully progress onto the harder

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2007 15:54 #5 by Anthony (Anthony)
Its best to breed something that youu will be able to sell or swap.
Convicts and most central American species are fairly easy to breed but hard to shift the young.
What size tank have you got. Malawi cichlids can be fairly handy to breed once you have the right enviroment and the proper water parameters.
Tell us what fish you intend to keep and we will do our best to help you through it.
most if not all the members here talk from experience. It is not a Hymm Sheet forum where they all read the same book and all agree with each other.
Let us know what you intend to keep.

I think watcing Central or South American parenting by cichlids is awesome. Malawi`s and most Tangs are mouth brooders and you don`t get to see the parents guarding their young and bringing them out to feed.

More
28 Mar 2007 16:04 #6 by steven (steven)
Mcquaid as Anthony said convicts are the easiest and being straight with you once you have a male and a female just add water and your breeding i have a couple of malawi's that are breeding if you want to start with them i can give you a pair to get you started and you can learn from there.

ps. They are free to you to get you on the way

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2007 01:11 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Thinking of breeding cichlids
Tank space is the limiting factor. What are your water parameters or do you have the use of an RO unit and can pretty much have any water you would need?
OK, my 2 cents worth, kribs (Pelviachromis pulcher) or Nannacara anomala are pretty easy to breed and don't require too much tank space.
Angels, dispite what you sometimes read are easy enough to breed but you will need serious tank space to grow on a full brood.

Holger

More
29 Mar 2007 06:36 #8 by McQuaid (Mark McQuaid)
thanks lads...all info is helping... well im operating a community tank in my rio 400 but i have a space to build a tank...its sort of built into my wall...intended for putting a vase up or something...i could fit a 2 and a half foot x 2 1/2 foot tank....would that be ebough?? could i somehow operate the breeding out of my rio with my other cichlids in there???

More
29 Mar 2007 10:53 #9 by McQuaid (Mark McQuaid)
and my water is coming out of the tap at PH8.5

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2007 14:43 #10 by Anthony (Anthony)

and my water is coming out of the tap at PH8.5

You are destined for African cichlids.
Decide wether you want to go for Herbivorous Mbuna/Tangs.
Larger Haplochroms species with Omnivorous quiter species Mbuna.
You have a big tank and your water is super for African or even Central American cichlids.
Plenty of members have experience of breeding both.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2007 15:15 #11 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Thinking of breeding cichlids
Its about time I gave my unBIASED view on this one.BTW Anto didnt brainwash me!For a rio400 Id go with Malawi Cichlids ,they have fabulous colours,act like dogs when you approach the tank and eat out of your hand, are easy to keep and breed and are very intelligent and interesting to watch.
There is no point in making suggestions because you could put so many different types in there, but Ill try this one for size......these fish are large and robust but would all get along fine.This is one of my next tanks as soon as I make the space,Ill be sleeping on the floor soon!

www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1008

www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1045

www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1160

www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1218

www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1061

More
29 Mar 2007 16:35 #12 by steven (steven)
Chris just wondering is the 4th malawi down on your list available here have seen them in books before and would love to get my hands on a few of them......great post by the way.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2007 17:30 #13 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Thinking of breeding cichlids
They certainly are attainable here Steven with the likes of Wackers and Aquatic Village you would definately get them.They dont always colour up like the specimens you see in books,they can sometimes look plainer ie minus the fleck.
I am looking into getting some so I will keep you posted.

More
02 Apr 2007 03:43 #14 by McQuaid (Mark McQuaid)
cheers lads, all info is appreciated

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds