Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Water changes.

More
02 Apr 2007 09:25 #1 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
A bit of a simple question I can imagine for you guys but its something thats been bugging me!!

The 180L will have to have a water change soon before fish go into it. I'm thinking maybe 50% will have to be changed. How on earth do you guys do this?

Do you empty the water through a syphon and cleaning the gravel at the same time and then add in your dechlorinator into the remaining 50% and then fill from a hose or do you use clean bins filled with dechlorinated water? (This is what I'm doing and the bins are going to be heavy to lift!!

Sorry if I have asked this question elsewhere on the forum...I cant remember! :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2007 10:15 #2 by zale (Mark carroll)
I use a piece of garden hose 2metre long, a 10ltr mope bucket, a 10ltr plastic watering can & tapsafe. (all this stuff is just used for dee fishes)

I have crushed coral so I just vacuum the poo off the top of the sand into the bucket (the bucket is used in case a fish accidentally gets sucked up, so you can see it clearly)

Then I turn off the filter run my fingers thru the sand let it settle and repeat the sucking of poo.

Fill the watering can with tap water stick in the tapsafe and pour into tank.

Mark

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2007 10:37 #3 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: Water changes.
I use 5litre ballygowan bottles.
5 trips usually does it for a big water change in my 240l tank.
The more water you have in the tank the less you need to change once the bio filter is set up. I only do a 10% change, it should be sufficient once you check your water regularly for the first while after the fish go in.

More
04 Apr 2007 16:20 #4 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Whatever you do don't forget to add dechlorinator to the water before it goes in the tank.

Processor

More
04 Apr 2007 16:31 #5 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Thanks for that everyone!! I thought it was some major process but so far I have carried out a 50% change before fish were added yesterday and it was grand...sore on the arm when the gravel needs cleaning but other than that it was easy enough.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds