Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Friends Problem

More
05 Apr 2007 04:48 #1 by zale (Mark carroll)
Hi,

A friend of mine was asking me if I could help him identify why his fish were dying but I can't.
The problem is, he has a tank up & running a couple of months now but his fish are dying slowly 1 by 1 .

Originally:
10 neons
1 common plec
5 mollies

Left:
2 mollies

Now, I asked him to bring me in some water to test, everything was ok and ph was 7.8.

He said theres no signs of anything on them (white spot/fungus) all their fins are intact and he uses dechlorinator for his water changes.

My question is, because there was a 7 hr gap between him getting me a water sample & me testing it, does that affect the results.

His question, any ideas why my fish are dying?

Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2007 04:54 #2 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
I wouldn't say it matters how long it is between taking the water and testing because any chemicals in the water have nowhere to go. Is it possible that water hardness could be incorrect for the fish present in the water or if heavy metals from his tap water are causing the problems?

I'm just taking a guess from what I know so far! :) Hope your friend gets it resolved soon.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2007 05:02 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Friends Problem
Ok, guess work here. The water test should be OK.
Did he ever open any of the fish up? My guess would be internal infection.

A pH of 7.8 isn't ideal for the neons and plec but they should be OK. Since the mollies were also dying I don't think this would be the cause.

One last question that might help to establich why his fish are dying is how fast they were dying. By that I mean did they die one after the other in a short time or over a longer period?

More
05 Apr 2007 05:16 #4 by zale (Mark carroll)
@ scorphonic

unfortunately I've no test for hardness yet, he said he was using spring water + the de-chlorinator. I said maybe some chemicals contaminated the water but he started using it because his fish were dying, thinking it would be better.

@apistodiscus

He hasn't opened any up( i don't think he'd no what to look for) and they all died over a period of weeks not days :?

Just thinking the only thing I didn't ask him was temp?? could that be it.

Mark

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2007 05:55 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Friends Problem
I'd rather suspect that the temperature isn't to blame. Especially since a plec and the mollies will survive extreme temperature fluctuations.

Internal bacteria is my guess probably transmitted through faeces from one fish to the next.
Have a look at the jbl page I posted yesterday. I didn't check it yet but they probably have a picture of what an internal infections look like. Generally you are looking for red areas.

More
05 Apr 2007 13:09 #6 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Water hardness wouldn't be the issue either. An inappropriate GH can stress fish over time, but is unlikely to be responsible for them dieing off so quickly.

I'd also go with the internal bacteria theory. Are there any symptoms besides death? Bloating, ulcers?

Regards,

Ken.

More
05 Apr 2007 13:49 #7 by zale (Mark carroll)
@ apistodiscus

had a look at the jbl internal bacteria site :? I might as well be looking into a frying pan of onions. :) But saying that if. more like when the next 1 dies I'll ask him for it & maybe post pics of it's inside, oooh say around tea time.

@kenS

he said there was nothing, 1 minute ok the next slow movement or no movement then death. Sorry if it all seems vague but thats all I got too.
He loves the hobby but wouldn't know what to look for really.

Mark

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2007 02:55 #8 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Friends Problem
[quote="zale
he said there was nothing, 1 minute ok the next slow movement or no movement then death. Sorry if it all seems vague but thats all I got too.
He loves the hobby but wouldn't know what to look for really.[/quote]

If his are lethargic he might be over feeding them. Ask him to feed them in front of you and how much he feeds them. He mighht be getting small Ammonia or Nitrite spikes.
Its hard to say with the info you supplied but I think its to do with the feed and also blood poisoning from the nitrite.

More
06 Apr 2007 04:14 #9 by zale (Mark carroll)
Thanks for all the help.

I'll tell him how much to feed, but can't over see it cause he's a Cavan man, to far from me. (You would have thought it was to little he was feeding them) :D

Only joking people.

Mark

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2007 09:33 #10 by Anthony (Anthony)

Thanks for all the help.

I'll tell him how much to feed, but can't over see it cause he's a Cavan man, to far from me. (You would have thought it was to little he was feeding them) :D

Only joking people.

Did you hear abouut the Cavan man who dropped a penny. It hit him on the back of the head as he bent down to pick it up.
Or the Cavan man who brought his kids to see Santas grave. :lol: :lol:

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2007 15:49 #11 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Friends Problem
:lol: :lol:

Cavan is also the very place where the copper wire was discovered ...
when 2 Cavan men decided to fight over a penny ! :lol:

Happy Easter to all !

Valerie

More
07 Apr 2007 14:18 #12 by zale (Mark carroll)
A Monaghan Footballer, a Meath Footballer and a Cavan Footballer were out fishing on Lough Sheelin one day when Jesus walked across the water and joined them in their boat & asked was there anything he could do for them.

The boys were gob-smacked! "Jaysus" was all they could say!

The monaghan man said "Jesus, me back's been at me ever since I played U16 football against Meath many moons ago. Can you do anything for me? Jesus touched his back and he was relieved of the pain for the first time in 44 years.

The Meath man, sporting a pair of thick black rimmed, bullet proof glasses, "I haven't seen the stout in front of me since I got a slap in the 1965 under-21 championship match against Dublin. What can you do for me." Jesus gently removed the antique glasses and flung them into the lake and immediately the Meath man could see as far as the Tower of Lloyd in Kells.

Jesus then turned to the Cavan man who leapt to the back of the boat and cried "Don't put a fecker finger near me - I'm on a disability pension!

We should start A Joke Thread!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Apr 2007 03:03 #13 by Anthony (Anthony)
Good idea.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds