Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Velvet disease ?

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Valerie (Valerie)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Apr 2007 14:02 #1 by Valerie (Valerie)
Velvet disease ? was created by Valerie (Valerie)
Hi,
My Siamese Fighter appears to be sick. Temperature has been up to 30 deg for the last week as I also had cases of whitespot which seem to have disappeared for now.
This whitish substance on the Betta only shows with the camera flash (without the polarising filter).
Is Malachite Green the best med for it ? Can it be purchased in a chemist shop if one has a good customer relationship with the pharmacist?

Thank you for your feedback !
Valerie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2007 14:13 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Velvet disease ?
Valerie,
I'm not totally certain that is Velvet Disease but I'll leave it for others better versed in fish ailments to tell you for sure.
I think Malachite Green is now totally banned throughout the country (unfortunately) but someone may have some if it's decided that would be the best source of treatment...

John :roll:

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2007 01:59 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Velvet disease ?
Actually I don't think it's velvet disease. Velvet looks like ichtyo but the spots are smaller. There are numerous medications. I would recommend eSHa exit, works against whitespot and velvet. Velvet disease is caused by Oodium which is either classified as either a protozoa or as an algae since it contains chlorophyll and photosynthezises. Hence it is a good idea to turn off all lights for a week or so since this will weaken Oodium.

Do any other fish in the tank show the same symptoms? Do they still feed?

You could try a combination treatment of eSHA 2000 and Exit. This is a general treatment, easy on the filter and won't do any harm to plants either. If you can't source it in Galway, let me know and I'll bring some to the meeting on Thursday

Holger

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2007 02:37 #4 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Velvet disease ?
Hi Apistodiscus,
All other fish (danio*6, guppy*4, x-ray tetra*3, dwarf-gourami*2) are all behaving/feeding normally and are not displaying any obvious sign of illness.
I will turn off the lights when I go home and will check availability of the meds you mention above and will let you know how I get on with it.
Thanks a million for your help. :)
Valerie

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2007 03:50 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Hi Valerie,
have a close look at your other fish. They will be displaying a few very small white dots if you have velvet disease in your tank. It his highly infectious so if you betta has it your other fish should be showing symptoms.
You never said what is actually wrong with your betta apart from the colouration.

Holger

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2007 04:18 #6 by Valerie (Valerie)
Hi Apistodiscus ...
In fact, there is nothing obviously wrong with the Betta. He eats ok, swims quite actively, hunts down baby guppies when available ... :cry:
I only spotted this 'discoloration' when trying to take a picture of him. It only shows up with the flash and cannot be seen with the bare eye.
Some other fish (my x-ray tetra and RIP neon tetra) were indeed displaying tiny white spots , but they have disappeared since I raised the temperature to 30 deg.
I will keep the temperature to this level for at least another week as the fish do not seem to suffer.
Thanks and kindest regards,
Valerie

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2007 04:42 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Definitely no velvet disease so. Nothing to worry about except either your camera or picture taking :D

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2007 04:45 #8 by Valerie (Valerie)
Now, I am reassured. :D

One more excuse to get my husband to change to an even better camera :lol:

I guess, with a face like this, my Siamese fighter won't figure in the April photo competition :(

Thanks !
Valerie

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2007 05:39 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
A bit more contrast and I would enter him in the competition.

Very tempted to get a few bettas myself. Used to breed them by the bucket load. One of the petshops in Cork had some nice crown bettas for sale. The problem, as always, is to get a suitable female of the same strain. Never mind my wife seeing yet another tank going up or in the case of bettas plenty of 5 l jars

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds