Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

vote for how understands Holger formula

More
02 May 2007 10:27 #1 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
For the benifit of the viewers that are to shy to moan, lets have anonymous vote to see the extent of the problem of over technical jargon in the forum and to see what percentage that would be. Using Holger formula as a base plate example.

Should look like this

C6 H12 O6+2 C10 H15 N5 O10 P2 ( Adenosine diphosphate or ADP)+ 2 PO4 3- → 2 C3H6 O3 (lactic acid) + 2 C10 H16 N5 O13 P3 ( Adenosine 5'-triphosphate or ATP)

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2007 11:09 #2 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
You what?

That kind of explains. :lol:

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2007 01:52 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: vote for how understands Holger formula
Sean,
will try to keep my answers to a simple yes or no that even you will be able to follow.
Anthony's question was wether oxygen was a by-product of anaerobic digestion. I though that warrented the answer given. I could have just answered 'no' but that hardly would have explained anything. You should be able to back up your answers with an explanation. And sometimes this requires a some chemistry.
Why don't you have a poll 'Should we dumb our answers down?'

Holger

More
03 May 2007 02:09 #4 by zebadee (zebadee)
Holger,

Yes you are right that additional explanation by way of illustration improves the point you made. However the complexity of the illustration makes the explanation redundant and could be misconstrued as showing off. :wink:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2007 02:21 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: vote for how understands Holger formula
Fair enough point but how would you like it explained?
Would that have this 'C6H12O6 + 2 ADP + 2 phosphate → 2 lactic acid + 2 ATP' have done it? Ok, taking the piss...

• lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2007 03:11 #6 by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
Replied by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden) on topic Re: vote for how understands Holger formula
Seems obvious to me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2007 03:13 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
what the chemistry or that I#m taking the piss? :)

• lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2007 05:30 #8 by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
Replied by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden) on topic Re: vote for how understands Holger formula
A little bit from column A, a little bit from column B. :lol:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2007 05:43 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
And people always say my posts aren't balanced... :D

More
03 May 2007 10:27 #10 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
First of all Holger dont take it personnel, in fact you have my written approval to make a vote about Fr. Jack about any thing that is clean enough for the site admin wont have to delete after wards, I dont care its all abit of fun as its a hobbyist forum, it could be is Fr. Jack is a nice guy or a tosser or Fr. Jack is following me around the forum or Fr. jack drunk on most of his post..........what ever you like I dont care.

Any way getting back to this thing which you obviously did not take out of book :lol: :lol:

C6 H12 O6+2 C10 H15 N5 O10 P2 ( Adenosine diphosphate or ADP)+ 2 PO4 3- → 2 C3H6 O3 (lactic acid) + 2 C10 H16 N5 O13 P3 ( Adenosine 5'-triphosphate or ATP)

6 carbons as it cremated stiffs plus 6 oxygen and 10 more carbon and 15 Hydrogen and 5 Nitrogen ( as in laughing gas) and 10 oxygen and 2 phosphorus as in fertilizer changes to 6 carbon i.e 2 by 3 = 6 carbon and 12 hydrogen (2 by 6=12) and 3 oxygen and 20 carbon and 16 hydrogen and 5 nitrogen (just come back after having a coffee as I was falling asleep 13 oxygen and 3 phosphorus= a load of bullock
:lol: :lol:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
03 May 2007 11:03 #11 by lampeye (lampeye)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
03 May 2007 14:51 #12 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Sean,
it's actually balanced, 26 C, 10 N,26 O, 6P and if you have been paying attention there are 42 Hydrogen on the left hand side but only 40 and the right hand side of the equation, 2 two missing Hydrogen are from the phosphates. I didn't specify which phosphate since any number of phosphate can be utilized but all of them contain the missing hydrogen.

Holger

More
03 May 2007 17:24 #13 by JohnH (John)

2 two missing Hydrogen are from the phosphates

I always thought that's where they went but could never be certain...thanks for clearing that up...

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
04 May 2007 00:49 #14 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
you're welcome John :D

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds