Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Juwel Filter Media

More
07 May 2007 09:46 #1 by decmac71 (Declan McNamara)
Hi,

Apologies if this is a stupid question but do blue sponges go green after being in a tank ?

I'm beginning to wonder about my filter! It was already setup when I got the tank (new) so I always assumed it was correct. However I've looked at it today and it doesnt seem to match the Juwel pictures (in terms of filter media).

The tank is a Juwel Vison 180, has the compact filter system but I dont seem to have any blue filter sponges - I have various shades of green!

Image attached here, the basket on the left is the top basket (I know its missed the top white poly pad, I was changing that!) and the one on the right is the bottom basket which I thought was supposed to have blue filters.

Any ideas on whether this is correct or not ?

Thanks,
Declan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 May 2007 10:26 #2 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Juwel Filter Media
To be honest it doesnt matter about the colour or the prescribed function of the sponge filter.The main function of an internal is more mechanical than chemical or biological so as long as physical waste elements are being reomoved from the water the rest should follow.

When I had the Juwel internal in my 260 it never had a filter sponge replaced in 5 years and it never had a problem.Also the colour and order never matched Juwels recommended method.Now I only use floss wool on my internal filters with biomax rings.

Re blue sponges going green,Ive never come across it!Is there alot of green algae in the tank?Other than that Im sure someone here does adhere to filter sponge maitenance and can advise better.

More
07 May 2007 11:31 #3 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
As ChrisM says I dont think the order of the sponges is that important, once they are keeping your tank clean. Never clean/change all of them at the same time. To me the sponge on the bottom left looks bluet o me.

Daragh

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 May 2007 12:43 #4 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Juwel Filter Media
Might just be Algae. They look like they need a rinse. :lol:

More
07 May 2007 12:51 #5 by decmac71 (Declan McNamara)
Thanks for the replies, maybe I'm worrying too much, there is no sign of algae anywhere else in the tank. Its only been running for 3 weeks and I am having problems getting my ammonia levels to come down so thought the filters might not be working...

More
07 May 2007 12:59 #6 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
You also don't need the black sponge in all the time (regardless of what Juwel say). It's carbon and is mostly used for removing meds if you had disease in your tank so you shouldn't need it all the time.

Regards,

Ken.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 01:13 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Juwel Filter Media
I do agree with Ken. Get rid of the carbon filter and get one more of those green nitrate sponges or an ordinary blue sponge

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 01:26 #8 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: Juwel Filter Media
I'd get rid of that horrible jewel filter totally.
Its easy to enough to remove and then you get more space in the tank and you get to buy a really cool external filter and a small internal one if you want too. Its all just toys really innit?!!!

More
08 May 2007 02:18 #9 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Don't buy the Juwel filter pads. Buy the pond "Green Genie" sponge. Its dirt cheap for a big slab of it and its exactly the same.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 02:42 #10 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Juwel Filter Media
Depends what fish and how many of them you are keeping. Mbunas for example will require a bigger external filter since you have to overstock them. Personally I do not like the look of the filterbox and would get rid of it. Personal choice since the filter is quite adequate for a general community tank

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds