Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

HELP

• russell (russell)
  • russell (russell)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 02:45 #1 by russell (russell)
HELP was created by russell (russell)
Have put this post here as we don't have an emergency post.

If any one has any DE WORMER ie FLUBENOL can you PM Tom Nolan as His Discus sounds as they need de worming
Regards
Russ[/b]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 02:51 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: HELP
Don't have any myself but found some on ebay. here's the link:
cgi.ebay.com/Flubenol-15-fish-wormer-100...eZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 03:09 #3 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: HELP
I have Flubenol 15.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 03:55 #4 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Flubenol
Hi Anthony

I think I could do with one myself as a standby. let me know the cost and will post it off to you : better have your address
Regards
russ

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 06:44 #5 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: HELP
No worries.
I might be only be able to give you one bag each. Its enough for 400l.
I want to keep soe for myself. I don`t sell it anymore. Was not worth my while.

More
08 May 2007 07:07 #6 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
Replied by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan) on topic Re: HELP
Cheers Russell. Basically one of the Discus has been moping in the corner and hovering above the filter for a week or two. He wasn't interested in food but lately he's been swimming up to it, but then decides he doesn't want it. Have seen him eating a few bits of the tetra prima I put in but thats it. Seen white poo last night so I'm worried to say the least.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 07:35 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Don't think you have worms, sounds more like flagelattes. Crank the temp up to 34 degrees and get yourself some flagyl

More
08 May 2007 07:53 #8 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
Anthony thinks it's Spironucleus Vortens and suggested Metronidazoole from the vets. I've only been keeping Discus a couple of months so am dependent on other peoples diagnosis. Would like to see more input as to what epople think it may be, and then I'll try and get whats needed.

More
08 May 2007 08:30 #9 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: HELP
Flagyl is Metro...whatisname...just a brand name for it.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 08:42 #10 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Correct John, sorry, find flagyl easier to remember.
1.5g per 100 l for three days and crank up the temp by 4 degrees and aerate the tank. Turn off the lights since it will destroy the antibiotics.
After 3 days 80% water change and filter through carbon to get the rest of the stuff out. Bring the temperatute slowly down (1 degrees per day)

More
08 May 2007 09:22 #11 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
Will do lads, cheers.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 14:44 #12 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic help
Hi Holger
1 where do you get your flagyl?
2 How do you do a 60 gal water change, not that I am doing either but it poses the point that, how would I do that size water change, 60 gals of RO mix And with a Ph of 6.5 and the same temp.?
Surely there must be another treatment available.

More
08 May 2007 15:36 #13 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re: HELP
Metronidazole should only be used in a quarantine tank. Firstly, you will need a lot of it to treat a tank of the size you mentioned which would make it very expensive. Secondly, since it's an antibiotic, it will kill all your filter bacteria. That's not something you want to happen in your main tank.

You should move the fish showing symptoms to a quarantine tank and treat them there. You can use water from your main tank for the daily water changes to keep the parameters the same or make up enough or your mix for a water change in the quarantine tank.

Are you sure you know what you're treating? Treating with Metro is pretty hard on fish when you consider haveing to move them and do daily or twice daily water changes (depending on ammonia and nitrITE as you won't have biological filtration).

Regards,

Ken.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 May 2007 00:55 #14 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Metronidazole is an antibiotic that is used against anaerobic bacteria and protozoa. Your filter bacteria are neither...

I get my metronidazole from my GP. Went to college with him and he knows better than ask questions :twisted:
The metronidazole comes in 500mg tablets so it is easy to dose. As mentioned before 1.5g per 100 l for three days as suggested by Untergasser. You might have to repeat the treatment.

@Russell,
start boiling your kettle and boiling your pots. Only way to bring it up to the right temperature. pain in the backside but has to be done. Sorry, no easy way I know of.

You would treat the entire tank since you want to make sure that you get rid of all flagelattes.

More
09 May 2007 03:24 #15 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
Hi guys, have been on to the chemist and can pick some up today. 1.5g per 100 liters? How many times and for how many days, and when should I dose and follow with a water change?

Cheers

Tom

More
09 May 2007 03:27 #16 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
Also temp is currently set at 84, what should I turn it up to?

More
09 May 2007 03:38 #17 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re: HELP
Just speaking from my experience. Used it on gouramis last year. They were in my quarantine tank which was fine filter wise for a week when treating with other meds. As soon as I added the Metro, I got ammonia and nitrITE spikes. May have been just coincidence or the Metro reacting with some other med that was in there.

Regards,

Ken.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 May 2007 04:22 #18 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
@Tom,
1.5 g per 100l, leave for three days. Then 80 % water change.
Temp up to 34 degrees centigrade or whatever that is in old money.

You might have to repeat once but give the fish 3 days to recover before you add the stuff again. Drop the temp between treatments by 1 degree per day before you bring it up again

More
10 May 2007 11:17 #19 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
Just noticed my heater only goes up to 32. However with the heat here even when I have the heater set to 84 it's at 86..so it should be alright. Epsom salts added..now we wait.

More
16 May 2007 09:30 #20 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
Well after cranking up the temp a few days ago and using epsom salts I've noticed an improvement in the Discus that wasn't eating and sulking in at the back of the tank. He's out more and was eating a little bit the other day, but there's a definite improvement in him. He's out at the front of the tank swimming with the others now and is picking at the gravel. Done a 50% water change too. Not out of the woods yet but definitely getting there..cheers for the help lads. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 May 2007 09:32 #21 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
So glad to hear it. Nothing worse than seeing a discus just waste away. Has the colour of the faeces changed yet?
Thankfully you didn't need the antibiotics. Using them for the first time and without somebody holding your hand so to speak can be daring.

More
16 May 2007 09:43 #22 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
All I've seen is the normal, solid orange dookie! :lol: No white stringy pieces since I used the salts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 May 2007 04:22 #23 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Keep the temp up for another week just to be on the safe side. Than lower by 1 degree per day

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds