Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

PH levels & baking soda

More
03 Aug 2012 19:42 #1 by antoblfc (Anthony Behan)
OK SO I WAS READING SOME ARTICLES ON RAISING THE PH LEVEL FOR MY AFRICAN CICHLID TANK.I WANT TO DO THIS
WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK (SERIOUS MONEY SPENT ON GETTING STARTED AGAIN).SO TO START WITH MY JBL PH TESTER
TELLS ME I HAVE A PH LEVEL OF 7.6.MY SUBSTRATE IS CRUSHED CORAL WICH PROBABLY HAS IT AT THAT LEVEL ?.ALSO
THE GENERAL HARDNESS IS FINE ACCORDING TO ANOTHER JBL TEST.NOW IF I ADD BAKING SODA WHATS THE CHANCES OF THE PH RAISING AGAIN(& CAN I ADD IT STRAIGHT INTO THE TANK OR SHOULD I ADD IT WHEN I DO A WATER CHANGE.)LIKE TO GET YOU GUYS AND GALS TAKE ON THIS.......REGARDS ANTHONY

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2012 20:44 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Hi,

What fish are you keeping? A pH of 7.6 should be ok for most Malawis. Do you know how hard your water is? Bicarbonate of Soda will harden the water, but won't necessarily raise the ph. If you had wild caught fish, I would be more worried about pH, but it shouldn't be an issue for tank bred specimens. A stable pH is more important.

Regards,

Ken.

More
03 Aug 2012 21:22 #3 by SSS (Sion S)
Exactly what Ken said, a stable pH is more important than trying to get it up to the natural level of their lake. In my opinion messing around with pH is much more stressful on the fish than keeping it stable. 7.6 is a little low but I wouldn't worry about it, the fish will adjust ( assuming they're not wild caught).

More
03 Aug 2012 21:37 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I don't agree with KenS on this.
Bicarbonate of Soda will not technically harden the water (even though it will give a false high on carbonate hardness test kit).
I may or may not raise the pH....in some cases it can lower the pH. The main thing is that it will work as a buffer.....but it will only buffer if the pH is already at the right pH (and you could use bicarb of soda to get to that pH as well).

pH 7.6? that seems fine for Malawis if the tank is not allowed to run down to having a lowered alkalinity (you will not necessarily see a drop in pH if the alkalinity drops though).
What will have a bad effect on Malawis at lowered pHs is more attributed to other factors in the water where pH is an indicator of it getting run-down.

Keep replenishing the 'battery' of the water by good water changes will do wonders. The crushed coral will help to buffer the calcium 'battery', but it can become run-down with lack of water changes (and you'll see a pH wander as well).

Stability is the key.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
03 Aug 2012 23:16 #5 by antoblfc (Anthony Behan)
Thanks guys....The stability seems like a good plan.And the tests for for general hardness hasnt been
a problem.Partial water changes is somthing ifirmly believe in so maybe raising the ph levels is somthing
to stay clear of.......

More
03 Aug 2012 23:24 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Believe me, antobfc, I could give a 3 hour talk (for anyone ever having the misfortune at being at one of my water chem talks.....they know that I stop when I run out of coffee ;)) on why messing with water chemistry is not always a good idea and delve into the science of why decent water changes and good tank husbandry are the way forward for most fish that I can think of. :D

You can mess with pH to get it to "that perfect reading", but doing so may mess up some equally (or more so) important water parameters that are often forgotten about in many texts on the subject.
Hitting such "perfect readings" for many fish may be short-term solution, but nothing for the long-term if everything is not stable.

There is no harm in using coral gravel etc (in fact I recommend it), there is no harm in adding a bit of bicarb (unless overdone). Just make sure that adding bicarb is not just counter-acting the effects of old water. But as you do regular water changes, then that should sort itself.

ian

More
04 Aug 2012 00:16 - 04 Aug 2012 00:17 #7 by KenS (Ken Simpson)

I don't agree with KenS on this

That's not a million miles away from what I was saying. pH isn't everything. Stability and good husbandry is the key.

Regards,

Ken.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2012 00:17 by KenS (Ken Simpson).

More
04 Aug 2012 00:45 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

I don't agree with KenS on this

That's not a million miles away from what I was saying. pH isn't everything. Stability and good husbandry is the key.

You spotted my missing words..:D....I meant on the hardening water bit in your original quote.

I've seen some of Ken's malawis....very nice specimens
I've also seen many malawi keepers who focus too much on messing with that 'perfect' pH and end up having some pretty sad looking fish.

Another point that I've often said is that although it may be great to know about the water chemistry, nothing beats damn good general fish keeping.
The chemistry bit comes in when messing with water makes things go wrong (OR....to put it another way, not following general good husbandry deserves being bored stiff by listening to water chemistry stuff. :evil: )

ian

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds