Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

High TDS.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Anthony (Anthony)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 May 2007 18:06 #1 by Anthony (Anthony)
High TDS. was created by Anthony (Anthony)
After my near disaster with the vitamins and 4 water changes later I had a friend check my TDS. They are 1020 in my Annectens tank.
No fish are dead, I must have at least 5 females with eggs but I am worrying about the long term damage.

nh4 = 0
no2 = 0
no3 = 10mg/l
ph = 8.4
tds = 1020

Another 50% water change will only get it down to about 500. I think the vitamins need a stomach to be activated but surely my fish must have swolled some amount of vitamins.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 May 2007 01:36 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: High TDS.
Stop worrying about those vitamines. Access vitamines go through the kidneys and are ejected next time the fish takes a leak.
TDS is not considered a primary pollutant but rather an indications of aesthetics in drinking water. Stick a TDS meter into saltwater and see the numbers going off the scale. TDS are defined as all organic and inorganic substances dissloved in water smaller than two microns.
Most TDS reading will consist of calcium, phosphates, sodium, potassium, nitrates and chloride. Ok, you have no chlorides, nitrates. very little potassium and possibly some phospahtes, i.e. the main constituant in your case will be calcium since your tank is a hard water set up.

The LD50 (lethal dosis for 50% of the population) for fish is way in the access of 1000mg/l. Of course this is dependant on what yout TDS is made up of.

To measure TDS correctly you will have to use gravimetry. You will have to let all the solvent(in your case water) evaporate and weigh the residue which can then be analyzed in a lab.
If you are using a TDS meter you are only measuring the electrical conductivity. At best this will bring you within 10 % of accuracy.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 May 2007 02:23 #3 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Hi
The tds is high. If I am right 39 on the tds = 1 degree hardness what is the Kh reding I guess that is hogh also. Phosphoric will bring both down. as I have found out . but will also lowe your Ph.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 May 2007 02:37 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Russell,
you are keeping discus and a low TDS is essential. Most of Anthony's TDS reading is calcium since he has a hard water set up. Nothing to worry about with the fish he's keeping. Vitamins wouldn't show in a TDS measurement but only in a TSS measurement since they are bigger than 2 micrometers.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 May 2007 06:11 #5 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic TDS
Sorry confusion reigns. Yep he needn't worry about the high tds the higher the better !

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 May 2007 11:52 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
I wouldn't go that far. 60,000 TDS is lethal to most things within 96 hours.
Don't worry, you'll have to try harder than a bottle of vitamins :D

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 May 2007 12:10 #7 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: High TDS.
Could it be the Bread soda I add to buffer the tank.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 May 2007 12:45 #8 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic SODA
HI Anthony
I have added Soda it raises the KH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! be careful you dont need much!!!!!!!!!!!! as long as it's Baking SODA & not Powder

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 May 2007 14:31 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: High TDS.
I found a cool water change and a little buffering does wonders for my Tropheus to trigger them spawning. I have at least 5 female Annectens holding eggs and fry.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 May 2007 01:16 #10 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Baking soda is Sodium bicarbonate. The whole point of adding the stuff to water is to get your KH up in the first place. It won't raise your GH though.
And yes, Anthony,it will raise your TDS

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 May 2007 02:37 #11 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic TDS
The only way I can control the Ph is with a dilution of the Phosphoric Acid This gets it down to 6.5. As it lowers the Kh I add a tiny amount of the baking soda to get it from 1 back to 3. oncee you get the feel for it it's fairly easy. But small adjustments in the water storage first!!!!

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds