Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tetratec leaking

More
07 Nov 2012 21:00 #1 by louis (David Knowles)
Hi all my tetratec ex 700 has started to leak. I haven't removed the motor head in over 2 months but it started leaking from the locking buckles this week . I've ordered an o ring for the motor head. Will this sort me out.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2012 21:22 #2 by lawrenceog (Lawrence O Gorman)
Hi Louis

I had a similar problem with my JBL e900 recently after I cleaned it and I found it was due to a small piece of gravel that I missed it was up where the rubber seal sits when closed. After I removed it the leak stopped.

But since you didn't remove the motor head probably not a similar issue, but maybe worth a look all the same.

More
07 Nov 2012 21:45 #3 by louis (David Knowles)
Thanks Lawrence I took the motor head off today cleaned it and put some Vaseline on it but still leaking. Have it in a bucket at d mo. puts ya off externals though.

More
07 Nov 2012 23:36 #4 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
If the filter was full of water, then the pressure of putting the top back on can distort the body.
Try again with less water for an easy fit.
If the filter media or baskets arent sitting right it can also cause leakage. I had to remove one bio ball from a tray before.
As already said, dirt on the rubber ring or damaged or out of shape.
Also ensure the hose connection assembly is in correctly and lever is locked in position.
The hose connectors have 2? Small rubber rings which can also be the problem.
Vaseline can damage rubber over time, silicone grease is a better option.

More
12 Nov 2012 15:03 #5 by louis (David Knowles)
Thanks Justin. I'm still waiting for the replacement O ring but funny thing, its not leaking as much now. Maybe if I wait long enough it will stop altogether

More
12 Nov 2012 19:59 #6 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
How long are you waiting ?
Ive to open mine this week, Fingers crossed again.

More
16 Nov 2012 15:09 #7 by louis (David Knowles)
well I got the O ring and it was no problem to fit but what did I do next? broke the f***in impellar shaft. Have one of those on order now. Think I need a new external. I was thinkink of the JBL E901.

More
24 Nov 2012 20:04 #8 by louis (David Knowles)
Replaced the impeller and now up and running but unfortunately still leaking. Any advise what do I do next

More
16 Dec 2012 21:48 #9 by Daz112 (Darrell macdonald)
Hi my tetratec ex1200 is leaking where the clips are just on one side.
Can you recommend someone to have a look at it.

More
16 Dec 2012 21:59 #10 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
my ex1200 is leaking from the purge/start button. has anyone experienced this before or know how to fix it?
wayne

More
17 Dec 2012 14:25 #11 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Replied by m4r10 (m4r10) on topic Tetratec leaking
Now both of you are making me start worring about my ex1200 :unsure:

I'd just open the motor head and check the seals and lube them, just don't go crazy with the silicone and make sure it's water based.

When I bought my ex1200, the priming button was stucked in so I opened the motor head, clean and it was fine for about a year, until today when I washed the filter and wanted to try to see if it's still sticking, and guess what! I managed to push it all the way back in and it's not coming back but somehow I managed to prime the filter thanks to my lungs and didn't need to open it again.

More
17 Dec 2012 18:05 #12 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
Hi guys for all your questions on tetra tecs leaking......i was the agent for years there were a huge amount of problems tetra denied everything despite me ranting on tpo them,thats why i wont stock tetra anymore.....huge numbers leaked.....they said i was the only one......me.....i bought and sold hundreds it was a nightmare....anyway when u see the water coming out the handles its not the o ring so dont bother replacing it...the fault is in the machine head....the o rings fail...water leaks into the bulkhead via small gaps where you push male into female receiver water passes down the holes and comes out through the handles so everyone thinks its an o ring .....so believe me you have to replace the bulk head or the orings there....thats why tetra hate me now......i would complain if i were u......i dumped them because they are tossers.....

hope this helps
ian

More
17 Dec 2012 19:03 #13 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
any idea how to fix the prime button ian? can the head be opened to get at it?

cheers, wayne

More
17 Dec 2012 22:27 #14 by louis (David Knowles)
I think you're right Ian, I've replaced as much as I can think of replacing but still have a leak. I have the filter 3years and I know that running 24/7 for 3 years will result in parts needing replaceing. But with tetratec there seems to be no remedy.

More
18 Dec 2012 10:00 #15 by ipcompto (Ian Compton)
i suggest anyone with a dodgy tetra tec external get intouch with marty the rep and complain he will give u a new one to save face............thats what companies like these do....the sell sell sell and dont listen to the people that championed their cause in the first place.......thats why Aquatic Village wont stock Tetra products....they lied about 300 watt heaters all faulty....they lied about their externals...even when i accused them of covering up and sticking their heads in the sand!!!

IAn

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds