Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Killifish substrate

More
06 Aug 2013 10:16 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I have tank that qualifies more as a pico than a nano and was planning on put a killifish or two in it; they're something I've never tried before. I have a substrate question though. I have orchid compost. It's a mix of coconut, French bark (whatever the hell that is!) and sphagnum peat but there's also some ferts in it too apparently. Does that make it a no-no as a substrate? Or is there any way to remove them ie through boiling etc? If it helps I'll post the NPK values later

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2013 12:55 #2 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I think that you would be safer with peat¨moss with no additives and make sure to boil it.

Ferts i dont think are a good idea for fish :-)

More
06 Aug 2013 16:04 #3 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Yes ceech is correct. I use well boiled shamrock peat moss when breading Nothobranchius killifish. What species of killifish are you getting? I have some really nice annual fry which are growing very fast.

Stephen.

More
06 Aug 2013 16:35 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Cheers guys. I just thought it was a lovely chunky substrate. I've no idea what killifish I'm going to get yet. I've still got to get rid of the 20 or so bronze cory juveniles in it right now. I want something colourful though

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
06 Aug 2013 17:00 #5 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Check out some of the nothobranchius species. I have nothobranchius korthausae mafia, nothobranchius guentheri zanzibar, nothobranchius palmqvisti pangani, nothobranchius guentheri blue to name a few also have some australia and aphyosemion striatum fry.

One thing to keep in mind with killifish is you will need a good tight fitting lid on your tank as killies are accomplished jumpers.... :ohmy:

Stephen.

More
06 Aug 2013 17:19 - 06 Aug 2013 17:21 #6 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
I will have some of these beauties in a few weeks. Kudos if you can name the species!

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Aug 2013 17:21 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey).

More
06 Aug 2013 17:51 #7 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
wow thats a beautiful looking fish :-)

More
06 Aug 2013 18:14 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I use a mix of sphagnum moss peat (pure...not with wetting agents etc) and Coire compost (as in used in reptile vivs).

For the substrate divers, though, I use much more coire than peat.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
06 Aug 2013 19:30 #9 by davey_c (dave clarke)

I will have some of these beauties in a few weeks. Kudos if you can name the species!

Nice killie, had a pair of them before but didn't have much luck unfortunately... what size is he?... he's a nice lad though :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
06 Aug 2013 19:30 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
No kudos for me then! :crazy:

I know nothing about killies but he is a beauty

More
06 Aug 2013 19:32 #11 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Ye can use coconut huss as a substrate for them too, can't ye :unsure:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
06 Aug 2013 19:47 #12 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
He is a Fundulopan​chax sjoestedti "Niger Delta".

More
06 Aug 2013 19:51 #13 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Ye can use coconut huss as a substrate for them too, can't ye :unsure:

Yeah i have heard of people using coconut husks. I dont use any substrate in my killie breeding tanks. Makes it easyer to keep them clean.

More
06 Aug 2013 19:53 #14 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Ahhh, Fundulopan​chax sjoestedti, I know him well! I used to drink with his father :whistle:

More
06 Aug 2013 19:56 #15 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Ahhh, Fundulopan​chax sjoestedti, I know him well! I used to drink with his father :whistle:

lol try to pronounce it! I bite my lip anytime i try!.

Stephen.

More
06 Aug 2013 20:12 #16 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Where did you get him from? Are they hard to get?

More
06 Aug 2013 20:47 #17 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Where did you get him from? Are they hard to get?

Never seen this species for sale in a shop. You can get the likes of Aphyosemion australe and have seen some Austrolebias nigripinnis recently.

Stephen.

More
06 Aug 2013 21:36 #18 by killikid (donald carson)
A bare tank with top and bottom mop's and a few floating plant's will do the job for Fundulopanchax, there are some for sale on Aquabid.com at the moment.I keep mostly Chromaphyosemion myself.boiled irish moss peat is good for the Notho,s KK

More
06 Aug 2013 23:08 #19 by davey_c (dave clarke)
The sjoes I had came from an lfs In tipp but i've also seen them for sale in seahorse from time to time ;)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
07 Aug 2013 07:15 #20 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

The sjoes I had came from an lfs In tipp but i've also seen them for sale in seahorse from time to time ;)

Thanks davey, i got the eggs from a breeder in Germany.

Stephen.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds