Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sick green terror?

More
08 Aug 2013 22:42 #1 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
Hi all, today I noticed my green terror wouldnt eat, his belly seems to be sinking in slightly and his poo is white and stringy? Is this internal parasites? He looks stressed, is quite dark and not as active. Is this curable? Is there a med you would recommend from a lfs?

Thanks

Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2013 23:06 #2 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Sounds like he may have worms get some kusuri wormer plus and see how he is in a few days, have you got him long

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
08 Aug 2013 23:16 #3 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
I have him about 2 months, I knew I was getting the large tank so had him in a grow out tank for awhile. Hes grown close to 2inches since ive had him but for the past few days I noticed he was losing weight and then today I seen the white stringy s@#t and its actually been hanging out of him for the past 2 hours.

Is that a food or water treatment? He wont eat anything so might find it hard getting him to take it. Thanks for the reply Jeff :)

More
08 Aug 2013 23:31 #4 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
It's a water treatment and it's very good, just another question how often do you feed him and how much ??? Would you whacking the food into him? For example us having dinner at Christmas we like to eat more, cause this can also cause it

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
08 Aug 2013 23:32 #5 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
When eating to much of the same food

More
08 Aug 2013 23:38 #6 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
I feed nls cichlid formula, a few pieces in the morning and a few in the evevining after work, maybe about 4 pellets each time, and the odd time he gets krill, would that be over feeding? I tested the water today and it was all good, I did a water change regardless because he didnt eat his breakie this morning :laugh:

More
08 Aug 2013 23:55 #7 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
No deffo not over feeding at that rate my money is on worms now, try the kusuri and see how he gets on, and introduce some more foods to him blood worms brine shrimp and garlic etc.

More
09 Aug 2013 00:02 #8 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
Thanks Jeff ill pick some up tomorrow and see how it goes. Ill post the progress in a few days :)

More
09 Aug 2013 00:08 #9 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Good man no probs fingers crossed he'll be feeding from your hand next week :-)

More
09 Aug 2013 00:10 #10 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
And get some blood worms it's like icecream to them

More
09 Aug 2013 00:15 #11 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
I just had a really good long look at him and I think its hole in the head disease, tiny little holes around his head, about 5 from what I can see, ill have to do some research on that, or would that wormer help?

More
09 Aug 2013 00:29 #12 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Jasus that is a total different story some people think that us caused by worms but infact it's not it is a different story altogether I think it's usually caused by bad water quality ammonia and nitrates being the number one problem and 99% sure it's tablet treatment so it has to be mixed with food which us a nightmare, do you do regular water tests how is it at the mo

More
09 Aug 2013 00:37 - 09 Aug 2013 00:38 #13 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
I do 30% changes weekly and all the ammonia is at 0, im looking back over pictures now from when I first got him and I think u can see early stages of it, ill post a pic and see what you think.

Photo didnt upload last time so dont know if you can see it or not
Last edit: 09 Aug 2013 00:38 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan). Reason: photo didnt upload

More
09 Aug 2013 00:49 #14 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Can't see pics and no offence doing water changes every week does not mean the water is good if u don't have a test kit get it checked tomorrow to see what its at and knowing the quality of the water will help identify the problem, but deffo get the kusuri anyway just to be safe I recommend it fir all New cichlids that you get in the future

More
09 Aug 2013 07:41 #15 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Sick green terror?
If it is HITH use Octozin.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
09 Aug 2013 08:25 #16 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
So just showed my pics to a friend of mine and its defo not hole in the head, BIG over reaction on my part :laugh: so im going down to artane today to pick up some wormer, hopefully that will help.

I have the API test kit, its about 2 months old, when i tested recently all was normal so i dont think the water conditions are bad unless I had a mini cycle for whatever reason? anyway ill post on the progress, thanks all B)

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds