Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Water change.

More
11 Aug 2013 22:31 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I am always limited to time do I am trying to see if there is a quick way of doing a water change and still doing it right.
Up till now I have been emptying 20% of the water from each tank and topping it back up straight from the tap with conditioner added
I never had any problems and it seems to work for me.
Today I am going to try a different approach and leave the water in a 86 ltr barrel over night with a heater water conditioner then pump the water from the barrel to each tank. My question is am I going the right way about doing a water change ? And could I fill the 86 Ltr barrel and do more
than one tank? My tanks 190L 180L 120L 110L two 90L tanks
Any advice will be great the 120L is cold water all the rest run at 26 deg c

Something fishie going on here

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2013 23:36 #2 by theangryman (chris)
Replied by theangryman (chris) on topic Water change.
I do much the same thing for the past year or so, with a water butt outside(started off with two plastic bins).I change about 30% on my 3 tanks each week(or so!!!)The water is left in the butt for the week and I`ve never used any water conditioner and have to say never had a problem. I got a pump from Lidl or Aldi not sure which and use this to pump the water into the 350L tank the smaller tanks I just take the water from the butt with watercan as the pump is too powerful

must find a new word for waterbutt sounds a bit odd when I read back the post :laugh: :woohoo:

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

More
11 Aug 2013 23:59 #3 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Replied by davey_c (dave clarke) on topic Water change.
I know some people have water butts or plastic bins in their fishrooms for water changer... they do much the same thing as in pump it into the tanks as needed. I never used a water heater, instead just let the water sit at least 24hrs and warm to room temp, never had a problem that way and nor did the temp in the tank drop too much. The likes of fry tanks I put it in slower but was doing daily 50% changes on them.

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
12 Aug 2013 07:32 #4 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Replied by wylam (Stuart Sexton) on topic Water change.
Wow that's a lot of tanks . On water change day sometimes time might be a problem for me, so I fill straight from the tap, we have our own well so i don't add any conditioner. But i do put a second heater into the tank to help bring the water back to temp asap.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
12 Aug 2013 08:56 #5 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I was told its better to leave it sitting in a barrel for 24 hours then its ok to use.
Is it much better to do this instead of filling straight from the tap? How long is it ok to leave the water in the barrel. My plan is to keep the barrel near to the fry tank and do 50% water change each day. The tanks are not all mine lol the kids one one each and my girlfriend has one tank with tiger barb each time we get new and bigger fish we have to upgrade tanks

Something fishie going on here

More
12 Aug 2013 09:26 #6 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic Water change.
Yeah I would think it's a lot better than straight from the tap.

I have two water butts that I fill after a water change, dose with prime, a then heat the night before the next water change.

I leave water in them for a week and the water is fine. Have left it in for two weeks when on holidays and it has also been fine.

More
12 Aug 2013 12:31 #7 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Fill the day before,leave it in the house overnights to get up to room temperature and it should be fine. Once its not over 20% of a water change it would be fine.

Gavin

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds