Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

infections

More
28 Aug 2013 08:37 #1 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Ok I had a a bad case of ich or velvet
That wiped out some plecos on me also
My pandornni looks like there on the way out
(I may need to euthanize them :( the male looks like
He's blind now and the female is constantly rubbing after
Treatment) salts and meds :sick:
My question is this,
Will I have to sterilize the tank,sponge filters and decor
If I want to restock?
If so what do I use?
Thanks in advance.

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2013 09:06 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic infections
A good way to sterilise things against water-borne diseases is to let everything thoroughly dry out, I am of the opinion that this will kill off most all of those.
However, this may not be practical for yourself so a very good alternative would be a fairly strong solution of household bleach, that will kill off most things!
Naturally you would need to thoroughly wash everything - preferably under running clean water from the tap.
My feeling is that if you have substrate in the tank you would need to pay extra attention to this - or just chuck it out and replace with new.
A very strong salt solution would work also as most fresh water-borne diseases will not tolerate this either.
There are probably other proprietory disinfectants (now I think about it, in the past I have used Dettol too) which could be used - does anyone have any further suggestions?

Quite obviously, whatever you use to treat this will kill off any valuable bacteria in your filtration so you'll need to pay that some attention too.

So there are a few suggestions to be getting the subject going, but that's nowhere near a fully comprehensive list - just ones which have worked for me in the past.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
28 Aug 2013 09:24 #3 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
As John says, bleach will work, as will a strong salt solution, meth blue also works, but can stain your tank, silicone seals etc.
If you use a bleach solution, Milton is best, rinse well, then add Prime to some water, that will finish off the bleach. Measurements for use are on the Purigen packs, then wash the tank down with the prime solution.
15ml prime to 250ml water.
The salt solution is the most economical, and just needs a few rinses.
Don't use boiling water, seen too many tanks cracked by people pouring boiling water on glass!

More
28 Aug 2013 09:55 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Cheers lads,
I like the drying out approach
And tbh I think this would be a better option
For the likes of the sponge filters,
A good rince and let them dry out
Also with the tank I could turn it upside down.
Thanks again!

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
28 Aug 2013 09:57 #5 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Replied by davey_c (dave clarke) on topic infections
I was under the impression that using salt with apistos is a no go but not definate on that (just for future reference)
I had the same problem last time so sold up and dried out all tanks. The likes of the bogwood and caves were covered in white crap afterwards but with a good scrub were fine to use after. Sorry to hear of your losses but hopefully you'll have it sorted soon.

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
28 Aug 2013 10:04 #6 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Cheers Davey
It was a nightmare of my own making
Not to quarantine new fish
And it's not even about money
But a major error on my part and one
I will never do again.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN