Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Value for money water conditioner (De-chlorinator)

More
19 Sep 2013 09:54 #1 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Whats the best value for money dechlorinator in everybodys opinion?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2013 09:59 #2 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Seachem Prime is doing the biz for me and is saving me a fortune.

You could go one further then by using Seachem Safe - the concentrated version of prime.

Happy with Prime though

More
19 Sep 2013 10:22 #3 by ger310 (Ger .)
Fluid filter medium from Easy-Life for me.

I bought the 5000ml last December for 60 quid and there's still about a quarter left and that's doing 30-40-50% water changes weekly on a good few tanks........Now that's value!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
19 Sep 2013 10:29 #4 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
Got myself some Seachem Prime to try out

More
19 Sep 2013 10:30 #5 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
I agree with Ski, Prime is great value, but stinks like rotton eggs!
I like Aquasafe too, and use EasyLife FFM on some tanks.
EasyLife is my conditioner of choice
A few places do half price refill on water conditioners, so look out for them.

More
19 Sep 2013 11:00 - 19 Sep 2013 19:20 #6 by JohnH (John)
I used to use photographic fixer - Sodium thiosuphate - 'Hypo' was the more common name (perhaps when Ian comes on he could verify the name for me?).

But the cheapest of all dechlorination methods would be to let your water fill a container (well, almost fill) then leave it for around 18-24 hours with fairly strong aeration, this would allow the chlorine in the water to dissipate into the air, after which the water will have no chlorine. I'm not sure if chloramine is present in Irish tap water, but if it is I don't think that is so easily gotten rid of.

Whatever is used it's pretty good 'value-for-money' spent, if only for the peace of mind its usage brings.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2013 19:20 by JohnH (John). Reason: Irelish - are you sure????

More
19 Sep 2013 11:21 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I can confirm that sodium thiosulphate is the correct IUPAC name for "hypo", John.
It is still used in a few off-the-shelf conditioners.

For me, it is not the cost but the quality of the conditioner that matters especially if one has quite delicate fish (especially fish that do not like changes).

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
19 Sep 2013 11:47 #8 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

I bought the 5000ml last December for 60 quid and there's still about a quarter left and that's doing 30-40-50% water changes weekly on a good few tanks........Now that's value!

Ger

I swear by this stuff also,
Ger got me hooked on the stuff!
Only draw back is I don't think it can
Be got in 5ltr bottles in shops!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
19 Sep 2013 12:12 #9 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Ger

Only draw back is I don't think it can
Be got in 5ltr bottles in shops!

Gets my vote too

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
19 Sep 2013 12:12 #10 by ger310 (Ger .)

Ger

Ehh I never said drink the stuff your self!!

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
19 Sep 2013 12:23 #11 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
19 Sep 2013 19:23 #12 by m4r10 (m4r10)
I don't use any water conditioner, just fill the bin with water through a spray hose as I heard from good sources that most of the chlorine will dissipate that way, then during the course of next 24 hours I leave a pump on for a few hours and then bring it to temperature with a few kettles. Never had any problems doing the water change this way, although I never kept fragile fish species.

More
23 Sep 2013 15:15 #13 by paulv (paul vickers)
Prime for me is the best, a small few drops goes along way and its very good in an emergancy ammonia spike.

More
23 Sep 2013 18:37 #14 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi

I was just thinking of this thread yesterday, are we talking about dechlorinator or water conditioner?

Dechlorinator is pretty reasonable especially as you only use a few drops, conditioner is pretty expensive by comparison. I use FFM on the recommendation of members here, not for chlorine as I leave water for 24 hours with airstone in it before use for that.

More
24 Sep 2013 07:20 #15 by paulv (paul vickers)
Very good point Q, most products will do both.

More
24 Sep 2013 08:55 #16 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Yes prime and FFM do both

The benefit of prime is the dosage though. To treat 200 liters prime is a capful whereas FFM is 100 ml

It's just a personal choice really. I've used both and both have been fine

More
24 Sep 2013 13:16 #17 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

Yes prime and FFM do both

The benefit of prime is the dosage though. To treat 200 liters prime is a capful whereas FFM is 100 ml

It's just a personal choice really. I've used both and both have been fine

ooopsies Ski ..... 100ml of Easylife does 300 Liters. who has been a wasteful fishkeer then???? :blush:

More
24 Sep 2013 13:23 #18 by Ski (Alan McGee)

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds