Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How clean is my water

More
03 Feb 2014 01:19 #1 by Inza (philippe launois)
Hello everyone:

Ok this might seems an odd question but i am wondering just how good/clean is my water ?

I recently got some discus in my tank and from what i read they do need a "perfect" water.
My parameters are as follow:
t*: 29*C
Ph: 6
Kh: 3
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: <0.02mg/l
Iron: <0.05mg/l

So as far as i have learned, water seems adequate for discus fish.
They have been in he tank for 4 days, been feed on bloodworm and brine-shrimp as well as tetra prima. I do feed them 3 times a day.
The reading you can see here were taken this night and they are the same as the one i took on Tuesday. I do keep a record on my test, i don't know if it is very useful but ... ;)
I do my water change on Monday, so i give the tank a day to "stabilise" if that as any sense... :) before taking any measurement.

I am aware that feeding discus will pollute the water but if it come up with those kind of reading, should i really need to do a WC more often (2-3 times a week) or can i stick with my routine ?

I hope that you can understand what i am trying to ask as it is clearer in my head than in words :laugh:

I have t say that the discus i got are around 7-9 cm fish so not adult yet.

Anyway, thank you all for your responses.
Inza.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2014 02:39 #2 by alan 64 (alan)
how old is ur tank and i dont know about feeding them 3 times a day

More
03 Feb 2014 15:00 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Surely of your worried about water quality, cut the feeding back to twice a day? And maybe add an additional filter to the mix to keep everything tip top

More
03 Feb 2014 15:23 #4 by Inza (philippe launois)
Tank as been running for 2 month now. As for filtration I use a jbl 1501 linked to a uv unite and an eheim 2217 if I remember correctly. So I believe I have enough filtration ;-)
I have read on many forum and magazines that at least 3 to 5 feeding a day would be recommended for sub adult discus...
But what bothers me is if parameters are ideal, does it mean that the water is clean enough?

Thanks, inza

More
03 Feb 2014 15:59 #5 by alan 64 (alan)
well unless u can test for every kind of pollutant ul never be able to tell if ur water is clean enough but ur parameters seem good me personaly would be worried about the tank being so young and feeding heavily like that but if ur getting zero nitrates yer doing ok with ur regiem it seems so best of luck too you and if u have any pics of your discus pls share

More
03 Feb 2014 16:26 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Ive read plenty of articles that would state the same for feeding regeim however i wouldnt be sure how "mature" you could call a filter after 2 months! Ive filters running upwards of a year and id be wary enough of overfeeding with them! Hence my suggestion to go easy on feeding!
Once you keep the parameters stable i wouldnt worry too much about water cleanliness! Your water changes and testing are very good indication of how well your water is doing, and short of full scientific / forensic watrr testing i dont think there is anything else you can do to keep you satisfied that your water is up to scratch!

Hope your fish continue to thrive! Its good to see someone taking the time to be so particular about the environment their fish live in

More
03 Feb 2014 18:59 #7 by Inza (philippe launois)
that you guys, i used to add nitrate for plants growth but now that the discus are in i'll stop for now and see how things goes.
Both canister were seeded with "bacteria in a bottle" and sponges form my 901.
thx, Inza.

More
04 Feb 2014 19:26 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I hate "perfect water" ;)

Changes of getting and being able to measure "perfect" water is almost zero.

Stable water with proper water change regime is needed for discus.

Food....now this is where we do run into big problems with discus.
A full sized discus of the largest morphotype is many many times larger than an adult angel fish, and bigger than an Oscar.
The metabolism of discus is high.........so that bulk and metabolism need plenty of food (between 10% and 20% of the fish weight per day is the ideal.......but it needs to be quality food).

But therein that is where the problem lies.....high temp = lowered oxygen; high food load places a large load on the biological filters........and with oxygen decreased due to high temp that means that it is so easy to overload the biological filters.

To avoid that risk, biological filters need to be super efficient and mature enough to avoid being overloaded OR keepers keep discus as somewhat stunted by lowered feeding OR keepers do very very regular water changes.

Heavy feeding, overstocking, immature filters (it will take at least 9 months for a filter to get close to being mature at a minimum), lack of water changes are good ways wipe out discus. ;)

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds