Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

how long for aerobic bacteria to die off.

More
04 Feb 2014 19:44 #1 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Hi guys the power went out 3 hours ago in my house so i was wondering how long does it take for the bacterias in the filter to die off ?
Thanks
Anthony

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2014 19:47 #2 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Not sure.....But fill up some plastic bottles with hot water, put caps on and put in your tanks..

More
05 Feb 2014 12:46 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I always understood that if you're talking about something like a canister filter, anything over 3-4 hours and you're likely to have problems. If you're talking about sponge filters, it could be much much longer

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
05 Feb 2014 13:38 #4 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Thanks guys, when i left this morning the power was not back on yet. Will see when i go home 2 night.
The blue ram tank was only 15 degrees this morning i hope they will be ok.
Anthony

More
05 Feb 2014 18:57 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Hope your powers back on by now. 15deg is getting cold for any tropical fish. I would think best to use bacteria in a bottle to reseed your tank just to be on the safe side.

More
05 Feb 2014 20:08 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
At this stage, the original question is moot.

I would recommend doing a good partial water change as soon as possible....and with that doing a clean of the filter media in the tank water before the filter turns back on.

Get some "bacteria in a bottle" as soon as possible.
Do not feed for a couple of days.

Watch the fish.

Low temp and rams is something to be concerned of.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
05 Feb 2014 21:01 #7 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Thanks guys.
The fishes are looking fine so far.
The power was off for 17 hours in total.
I will do the water change 2 nite and will get the bacteria bottle tomorrow.
Fingers crossed they will be fine.
Thanks again, the advices were much appreciated.
Anthony

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds