Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

need advice with co2

More
17 Feb 2014 16:47 #1 by mars (Gedas)
Hi
Don't no where to start even. My plants not pearling I mean they a growing good, but I know could be better results, my co2 monitored automatically, to keep stable ph in a water, am using ro water and adding some minerals, so ph in my water is 6.5 very stable, basically co2 been pumped in a tank only 4 to 5 times a day for 30 minutes. the co2 probe shows green. My question would be should I add some crushed corals in a tank to raise ph, and to get more co2 pumped in a tank.
Thanks for any advice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2014 19:04 #2 by alan61979 (Alan)
Do all plants pearl?

Plants will use CO2 all the time during daylight, not just in 30 minute intervals. Try increasing the length of time yours stays on for. I'm no plant expert though. My CO2 comes on at 11.30am and stays on till 8.00pm and some of my plants pearl, but I've found different species perform differently.

Are you using anything else along with the CO2, like carbon fertiliser?

More
17 Feb 2014 23:10 #3 by mars (Gedas)
Replied by mars (Gedas) on topic need advice with co2
Sometimes very rarely I mean very rarely. I'm using ferts and fluorish exel every morning. Intervals - this is the problem I can't increase intervals, cause if I do, the ph goes down and ph /co2 monitor shuts pumping co2 into tank, so that's why I'm thinking maybe if I add some crushed corals it will smallbit raise ph in a tank and co2 pumping intervals will get longer?
Just duno if this is good idea.

More
18 Feb 2014 14:52 #4 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic need advice with co2
what i f u turm ur monitor down to turn off at 6, my planted tank my ph was 6 never any problems at 6 ph

More
18 Feb 2014 20:34 #5 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

Do all plants pearl?

Plants will use CO2 all the time during daylight, not just in 30 minute intervals. Try increasing the length of time yours stays on for. I'm no plant expert though. My CO2 comes on at 11.30am and stays on till 8.00pm and some of my plants pearl, but I've found different species perform differently.

Are you using anything else along with the CO2, like carbon fertiliser?

Found this elsewhere online.......

"Water can hold a limited amount of oxygen in solution before it is saturated. From then on, when a plant is growing and "breathing out" oxygen as it "breathes" in CO2, that oxygen forms bubbles on the leaves. The bubbles are called pearling, because the look like pearls. So, if you have enough light, fertilizers, and CO2 in the tank, and enough plants to produce enough oxygen to saturate the water, you will get pearling. Given that plants actively growing are doing well, then pearling is a sign that the plants are doing well. But, not having pearling doesn't mean they aren't doing well."

More
19 Feb 2014 00:18 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Unfortunately the "classic" text book story of photosynthesis is often incorrectly told (at best) and does not actually apply to many plants (and some include very popular aquatic plants).

There is not need for there to be a relationship between carbon dioxide uptake (made into sugars) and oxygen (made from water) given out other a distant relationship or interaction.

High oxygen content can inhibit photosynthesis (due to photorespiration competition). So having a high amount of peraling is not necessarily a good sign for all plants,

Aquatic plants such as Sagittari sp and Vallisneria sp (well.....very likely at least), and there may be more, do not take in carbon dioxide under light conditions.....the carbon dioxide is taken in at night and is biochemically processed within the cells during the day.
Funnily enough this type of photosynthesis is probably an adaptation for low water conditions !! (nature makes them rules, not me !!)

Not all plants have the same photosynthetic rate, so don't expect to see the same rate on all species; some are more sensitive to competition in photorespiration (and others are good at avoid problems of photorespiration).

just saying loike

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds