Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Creating Brackish conditions?

More
04 Apr 2014 17:06 #1 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Basically what do ya add to tap water to create brackish conditions in an aquarium?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2014 17:56 #2 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Basically what do ya add to tap water to create brackish conditions in an aquarium?

I used almond leaves in my Sa cichlid tank it worked straight away and once the leaves soaked they sat on the bottom and gave a nice natural effect

Something fishie going on here

More
04 Apr 2014 18:03 #3 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Ocean salt B)
What salinity depends on setup and species you would like to keep because a bracking stream would have as high a salinity as an estuary and so on. But i wouldn't use freshwater salt because its not the same stuff.

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
04 Apr 2014 18:15 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Which species are you keeping (or planning).

A lot of brackish fish are kept as normal freshwater; then there are the "classic" brackish.....so the list can be quite big.

Some fish will not do well if the water is not brackish whereas others can thrive in non-brackish.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
04 Apr 2014 21:28 - 04 Apr 2014 21:29 #5 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Puffers maybe
Or maybe Mollies
Last edit: 04 Apr 2014 21:29 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2014 22:41 - 04 Apr 2014 22:57 #6 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Creating Brackish conditions?
Mollies can adapt to any condition really.... They are found in freshwater, brackish and marine is some cases... I think people tend to suggest bracksih water for mollies is because they are a pretty popular beginner fish and common diseases find it a little harder to take hold in brackish conditions compared to freshwater... But if you know how to do a water change freshwater is no bother :P.

Some puffers are freshwater... Malabar puffers for example. cute little fella's. Cant say i know much about other species but majority are brackish and marine alright.

irish-zx10r :

I used almond leaves in my Sa cichlid tank it worked straight away and once the leaves soaked they sat on the bottom and gave a nice natural effect

I thought the title said 'blackwater' too at first... :crazy: got very confused when davey mentioned 'Ocean salt'
Last edit: 04 Apr 2014 22:57 by Alex (Alex).

More
05 Apr 2014 08:30 #7 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Ive never come across enough definitive information on water parameters for brackish water to actually take the plunge yet!
Ie for water tests: marine tests or fresh water tests? Kh important? Etc

When I finally get enough info ill set up a proper brackish tank that will eventually turn full marine as the fish mature etc (species dependent)

More
05 Apr 2014 09:34 #8 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Mollies are kept in freshwater in lfs, I started off with mollies many moons ago... started with 12, within a week had 12 more babies and shortly after they turned turned canabal... I vaguely remember reading years ago of people keeping mollies in their marine tanks but they can be adapted to either conditions.
Don't know much about puffers though apart from I'd say they'll eat the mollies if they were big enough :laugh:
I wouldn't say many molly fry would survive with puffers in the tank unless the female was removed but they do breed like wabbits lol

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
05 Apr 2014 11:34 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
:( lol I blame working night shift and the eyes are not the best :crazy:

Something fishie going on here

More
05 Apr 2014 13:35 #10 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
:P. Probably from standing in the LFS all day staring at all the goodies plotting the next missions LOL

More
05 Apr 2014 13:41 #11 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

:P. Probably from standing in the LFS all day staring at all the goodies plotting the next missions LOL

and from looking over his shoulder in case the "wallet keeper" sees what he is at......

More
05 Apr 2014 17:55 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Ive never come across enough definitive information on water parameters for brackish water to actually take the plunge yet!
Ie for water tests: marine tests or fresh water tests? Kh important? Etc

When I finally get enough info ill set up a proper brackish tank that will eventually turn full marine as the fish mature etc (species dependent)

Brackish water is like freshwater: there is no definitive set of water parameters that cover all.

ian

More
05 Apr 2014 19:14 #13 by JohnH (John)
Supplementary to the advice give here, I located an article on keeping and breeding Four-eyed fish which was written by Cees de Snoo.
It's really very interesting, even if it doesn't totally answer your question.

John

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/artic...breeding-4-eyed-fish

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
05 Apr 2014 19:19 #14 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)

Brackish water is like freshwater: there is no definitive set of water parameters that cover all.

ian

Ah yea thats a given.
What I meant was...... do I need marine test kit or my fresh water test kit up to the job?
Is there any need for skimmers etc or is that over kill?

More
05 Apr 2014 19:55 #15 by davey_c (dave clarke)

ian

Ah yea thats a given.
What I meant was...... do I need marine test kit or my fresh water test kit up to the job?
Is there any need for skimmers etc or is that over kill?

I used my salifert tests for both marine and freshwater without a problem ;)
You can run a marine tank without a skimmer too

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
05 Apr 2014 20:39 #16 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
A skimmer on a brackish water tank would need to be like a skimmer on a freshwater tank.......very very powerful else it won't work.
It is easy for a skimmer to work on a marine tank, but not on freshwater.
Hence, there is no point in fitting a skimmer.

My persistent brackish water tanks are actually changeable and change from freshwater to around 1.005 SD.
Such examples here are the mudskipper tanks.
But some of the brackish fish are kept in either full freshwater or full marine (eg mollies which I do not keep as persistent brackish).

There are some differences between marine and freshwater tests but generally it is only at the level of sensitivity eg there is little point in having a marine pH test kit that is sensitive to pH range between 6.5 and 5.5.

ian

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds