Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Ick survival capabilities

More
05 May 2014 09:32 #1 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Can ick survive out of water?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2014 09:48 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Ich needs water and a host to survive.so when it has neither it will die.it will die within 48hours but others say maybe a week.bottom line is it dries up complety then it will die.of course this may be of use for people who remove some media and the likes from a tank but turning up the temperature still is the best all round method of ensuring this parasite dies quicker and eliminates any free swiming stages also before they get a host. treatment helps also.
Gavin

More
05 May 2014 10:00 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)

Ich needs water and a host to survive.so when it has neither it will die.it will die within 48hours but others say maybe a week.bottom line is it dries up complety then it will die.of course this may be of use for people who remove some media and the likes from a tank but turning up the temperature still is the best all round method of ensuring this parasite dies quicker and eliminates any free swiming stages also before they get a host. treatment helps also.
Gavin

by removing any thing from the tank and drying it out will kill the tomont stage. All raising water temp does is to speed up the next stage free swimmers theronts, at 24plus deg it takes hours to devdlop but in a cold water koi goldfish pond this can take years.

More
05 May 2014 10:10 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
In reality the parasite is almost impossible to remove from a tank by removing everything. if its a case of removing everything.the parasite will be in the tank water etc...raising the temp will speed up the life cycle whilst treatment will help also.in terms of cold water fish then treatment is presumably the best way to eliminate.

More
05 May 2014 10:45 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
In commercial fish farms its a huge serious problem killing from 50 to 100% of infected fish with no real permanent cure. In usa they are trying to develop a vaccine to control it. Maintaining healthy stress free fish is the best wat to contfol white spot.

More
05 May 2014 10:55 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Good advise there Paul. Quite often the introduction of new fish to a tank can carry it also but I agree, regular water changes and stress free fish should ensure this isnt a problem.many new fishkeepers experience it abit but as they get more experienced I think its less of a problem and should be rare in a well maintained tank.Also the treatments can stain white silicone seals which stains them for good.Ive had it previously when newer to the hobby but thankfully it's probably 5 years since I've encountered it last.

More
05 May 2014 11:23 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Good advise there Paul. Quite often the introduction of new fish to a tank can carry it also but I agree, regular water changes and stress free fish should ensure this isnt a problem.many new fishkeepers experience it abit but as they get more experienced I think its less of a problem and should be rare in a well maintained tank.Also the treatments can stain white silicone seals which stains them for good.Ive had it previously when newer to the hobby but thankfully it's probably 5 years since I've encountered it last.

+1 on that. I had a few outbreaks in the first few years I was fishkeeping but in the last 7-8 years I've had only one, and it was related to the introduction of new fish. I think good water husbandry helps alot.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
05 May 2014 12:31 #8 by paulv (paul vickers)

+1 on that. I had a few outbreaks in the first few years I was fishkeeping but in the last 7-8 years I've had only one, and it was related to the introduction of new fish. I think good water husbandry helps alot.

+1 can I agree with myself :whistle:

More
05 May 2014 13:41 #9 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

+1 can I agree with myself :whistle:

Of course you can... but it'll have about as much effect as patting yourself on the back... ;)

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
10 May 2014 13:48 #10 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
what is the best way to treat this? i seen some using a salt bath and i also did a salt bath on one african cichlid that made a full recovery since

it was a emergency case so i dont know if it was safe to do.

Something fishie going on here

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds