Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

medical kit + must have

More
14 May 2014 09:20 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
This got me thinking last night when 20 + fry were born a week early to cut a long story short I had to make a diy egg tumbler. My question is what should everyone have in case of a emergency ?
Here is what I think and please add to this list it might help someone down the line.if someone could also add names to the medicines it be great.

Aquarium salt
Ich medicine
Worm medicine
Bacteria infection medicine
Hospital tank

After last night a egg tunbler

Something fishie going on here

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2014 10:35 - 14 May 2014 10:53 #2 by JohnH (John)
It's my sincere belief that the best range of Aquatic medications come under the 'Waterlife' banner.
I have been using this range for as long as they have been available and find them all consistently good (at least the ones I use have always been0.
I used to also use the Wormer Plus for that purpose, but since the EC got their clutches into Aquatic medications and this was forced to become reformulated (I'm told) it's now nowhere near as good.
I'd like to add Organic Aqua to the list of emergency 'must-haves'. If a situation ever was to arise where you needed to set up a tank in an emergency this can be used to allow you to add fish immediately without having to worry that it wasn't cycled.
Derek (whose reputation is beyond question) has great faith also in the Organic Aqua Health Treatment too. I haven't really given this a fair trial - I really must soon though.
And - an omission you make, James (which is something each and every one of us should have is a quarantine tank. Obviously if it isn't being used for its stated purpose your Hospital Tank could be used for that too - but it's as well to bear this requisite in mind anyway.
Doubtless more can add other suggestions?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 14 May 2014 10:53 by JohnH (John). Reason: Spelling

More
14 May 2014 10:48 #3 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
If enough adds to this list at the end I will do one to five must have items

Another thing I forgot to add
Good water test kit

More
14 May 2014 17:10 #4 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Meth blue is also handy to have if removing eggs from the parents tank into a tank of their own

Eric

More
14 May 2014 18:25 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Methylene blue is one of the true wonder drugs for fish and for humans.
So it should be in the emergency kit.

Ammonia adsorbing zeolite or similar (that includes PolyFilter and NitraEx) can become vital; and that would lead me to say have some activated carbon at hand.

As for medications, I'm with JohnH on the Waterlife products.........second to none but some do need some special care, and need correct ID of disease (see my comment above on zeolites as well when you have emergency medications).
Of them, Octozin would probably be the one that I would put best bets on as an excellent top-notch all-rounder and best-in-bunch in some specific diseases.

A good emergency and safe (but not particularly potent) medication is eSHa 2000.....good range of diseases and easily removed from the system.

Epsom Salts; Bicarb of Soda and Aquarium salts can be handy additions to be used as appropriate.

"Naughty" Nets (ie breeding /holding nets) can come in very handy if needing to isolate smaller fish for whatever reason (esp from bullying)

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
15 May 2014 07:47 #6 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
notes taken :)

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

More
08 Jun 2014 03:28 - 08 Jun 2014 03:36 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Feel free to change or add to this list ,
this is a rough list of what i think after reading your comments
some of these you will all ready have

1 Master test kit
2 Aquarium salt
3 Ich cure, Melafix, Methylene blue, Organic Aqua
4 water temperature thermometer stick or strip
5 New heater
6 Battery power air pump
7 Hospital tank
8 Fish net
9 Large bucket
10 Syphon hose

Last edit: 08 Jun 2014 03:36 by irish-zx10r (James feenan).

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds