Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Similar to Ick diseases?

More
24 May 2014 13:10 #1 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Are there any diseases which can be mistaken for ick in physical appearance..This disease is only affecting my barbs..Every other fish in the tank is unaffected..Whatever it is it looks very like ick but almost finer in some areas (the white grains are different sizes)..almost dusty..I turned the temp up to 28 degrees 5 days ago, added salt and ran a waterlife protozin ick treatment through the tank but whatever it is that the barbs have doesn't seem to want to shift..Any suggestions..I will try post a pic at some stage..The affected fish are eating, behaving and swimming normally..They actually seem fine except for their physical appearance..Is it possible that this is just a more stubborn strain of ick and is taking longer to clear

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2014 08:45 #2 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Whatever this is im waking up to a new dead barb each day :(

More
25 May 2014 09:33 #3 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Sorry to read dude ,
i dont know much about diseases , but would definitely separate sick fish from the rest .
Hope you'll get this sorted .

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

More
25 May 2014 09:46 #4 by joemc (joe mc)
Velvet?
Google some images of velvet on tropical fish and see it matches

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
25 May 2014 10:23 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
General ill health with multiple areas of damaged skin/slime could be mistaken from a distance.
The causes could range from physical damage (fighting), pathogenic damage (eg algae, bacteria, fungi......either from an outbreak of a disease or from an overload of microbes under conditions such as too much waste food) or chemical damage (eg water parameters).

Whatever the exact diagnosis and cause, I would recommend doing a few good partial water changes before doing anything else.

If you have a powerful lens (say an old camera lens) then look at inside corner of the tanks to see if you can see any white-spot critters........or take a swab from the area to your LFS and get them to put it under the microscope.

Good quality pics would help...or do as JoeMc says and compare to google images (just make sure that the google result come from a decent source).

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
26 May 2014 12:05 #6 by Toni-33 (Toni)
Hi gunnered1972,
I may have a solution , as I had this problem before!
So, go to the pharmacy and ask for "permanganate" - it is a dark powder in a small packet ( 25~30gr) ,
take a bottle 1,5 ~2 litters and put just a fraction inside, add water from tank tank and keep shaking until all powder is decayed after that start adding it in the fish tank ( make sure all filters are OFF for 1~2h ) DO it 3 days in a roll. It was working for me several times.
There are some photos , the color have to be not so strong , the same as the photo 3 & 4
Thanks
Attachments:

More
26 May 2014 17:07 - 26 May 2014 17:07 #7 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Toni 33 do you mean Potassium Permanganate? Will this not kill the good bacteria in my filters? Also do I need to do a water change each day after the treatment?
By the way the picture of the sick fish is exactly what my Barbs have..Do you know what it is?
Last edit: 26 May 2014 17:07 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
26 May 2014 17:34 #8 by Toni-33 (Toni)
Hi,
They are three different types of illness having similar appearance and it is very hard to say which one is which
However, THE FILTERS HAVE TO BE OFF WHEN YOU PUT THIS THING IN YOUR TANK FOR 1~2H !!!
Yes, this is Potassium Permanganate.
If I am not wrong, the problem you have in your tank is coming from the substrate,
so give a good 2h to the liquid to work in the tank and to have time go slowly in the substrate.
The water have to changed before the next treatment.
best of luck
BTW - if you have a small tank get the fish there - will be better

More
26 May 2014 17:37 #9 by Toni-33 (Toni)
gunnered1972, will be helpful if you snap a few photos of the tank and especially of the fish with the white dotes
Thanks

More
26 May 2014 21:34 #10 by joemc (joe mc)
This website might be a starting point to help you i.d the problem
www.jbl.de/en/online-hospital/identifyin...curing-fish-diseases

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
27 May 2014 16:13 - 27 May 2014 16:16 #11 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
These photos might give someone a spark! They arent great pics though cos the fish wont sit still :-((

As far as I can make out its classic Whitespot...But temp increase and meds are having no effect in shifting it????

i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t620/gunner...0073_zpspi3evu3h.jpg

i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t620/gunner...0072_zpstmms1e60.jpg

i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t620/gunner...0071_zpsi7ugjdvm.jpg

i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t620/gunner...0069_zpsvyneiuv3.jpg
Last edit: 27 May 2014 16:16 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
27 May 2014 18:08 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
That is more like whitespot than anything else.

How long have the fish shown these symptoms?

How long ago did you start the treatment?

What treatment (exactly) did you use?

I would advise cleaning the gravel, cleaning down all edges and corners and ornaments in the tank and increasing the circulation.
The temp increase would depend on what species you have in the tank and on the recommendations with your specific medication.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
27 May 2014 18:45 #13 by Toni-33 (Toni)
Hi gunnered1972,
For me your fish show early stage of this ICH ( I am still not able to say for sure)
I guess , this illnesses is no more than week - probably less.
One of the factors, which stimulate the " ICH" is Low level of KH ,
however, go for the treatment I suggested, get a air pump and increase the aeration in the tank.
Set the T up to 29~30 ( only if you have very good aeration in the tank)
and probably in the next 24~48h you could prevent the rest of the fish from dying.

More
27 May 2014 19:03 #14 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
This disease has been present for 2 weeks now,heading into 3...

I increased the temp to 28 degrees on week one and ran ESHA Exit through the tank..No difference!

Week 2 i kept the temperature at 28 did a large water change and ran a Waterlife Protozin treatment through the tank..Still No difference..

I have performed several partial water changes, gravel vacced numerous times, wiped down the corners of the tank a few times, even took all the decorations out and let them dry out for a few days...Nothing has made it better...

I have put the twelve remaining barbs in a hospital tank, raised the temp to 30 degrees and am running Protozin through this tank...

It remains to be seen what happens....

More
28 May 2014 16:05 - 28 May 2014 16:35 #15 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Toni 33....How much water should i change after each treatment?
Last edit: 28 May 2014 16:35 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds