Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

white spot

More
13 Jul 2014 19:46 #1 by theresa. (Theresa O Brien)
I have freaking white spot in my Tank, I have done the water changes, Put the medication in and everything else I was suppose to do, Only a few of the new fish have it, What o What am i doing wrong, Its breaking my heart,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2014 20:28 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic white spot
Whitespot is now not as frightening as it once was - but still is a legacy of non-quarantined fish.
But let's not start apportioning blame just now, you need to get it cleared.
I have found Waterlife Protozin to be as good as many and better than most of the proprietary medications.
You need to turn up the water temperature and follow the instructions fully (including continuing the whole course - even after the spots are gone).
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
14 Jul 2014 08:13 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic white spot
Bloody hell Theresa,
Your not having a nice start with this tank are you??
As John has said, Turn the water temp up slightly and follow the instructions on the medication.

Whitespot is something I havent had an issue with in nearly a year and a half, but I remember it all too well!!!!

Hopefully once you sort this out, it'll be plain sailing from here on!!!!

Neil

More
14 Jul 2014 08:24 #4 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
hi theresa
got this before when doing a big water change
depending on what stock you have i would put the temp up to 30-33 degrees and apply salt
it works great for me
best of luck

More
14 Jul 2014 10:17 #5 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Turn the temp up to about 30...Dose the medicine...Add aquarium salt..carry out good gravel vacs every couple of days...Take out rocks and ornaments for a few days if possible...Wipe down the silicone seals in the corner before water changes...Whitespot seems to love attaching to silicone....

Don't add any new fish for a month after the whitespot clears up...

Maybe consider quarantine periods for new fish from now on

More
14 Jul 2014 18:30 #6 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
It's not nice to have another set back but this is treatable. Heat and medication as advised and you should be ok.

More
14 Jul 2014 19:20 #7 by theresa. (Theresa O Brien)
A hammie I have a pain with this tank, One of the fish dead when i got home from work today, Heat is up, Regular water changes etc,
It would break your heart, I am doing everything right, your 4 little fellows are doing really well, If anything else happens I am going to trough my hat at it ,

More
14 Jul 2014 19:23 #8 by theresa. (Theresa O Brien)
Temp is up to 33, and doing everything possible, Its a nightmare,

More
14 Jul 2014 19:32 #9 by theresa. (Theresa O Brien)
Thanks John
I have used the white spot medication, Heat turned up to 33, I changed the water on Sat, Do you think I should do another water change on Wed,
Theresa

More
14 Jul 2014 19:40 #10 by JohnH (John)

Thanks John
I have used the white spot medication, Heat turned up to 33, I changed the water on Sat, Do you think I should do another water change on Wed,
Theresa

Very personally I would not do any water change until the treatment period is over - but I suppose it completely depends on which medication you have used.

John

ITFS member.

More
14 Jul 2014 20:10 #11 by theresa. (Theresa O Brien)
I am using King British white spot control, it says use for 7 days, so i will wait and see what happens then John
White Spot Control - Aquarium
50ml, 100ml

Treats fish with external parasites including White Spot, Costia and Trichodina. Repeat treatment at 48 hour intervals while symptoms persist and for 48 hours after all spots have gone. A 10% water change is recommended after the problem has been terminated. Use half the normal dose when adding to tanks containing sharks, loaches & other sensitive or light scaled fish.

Starts working immediately
Effective treatment
For use in tropical and coldwater aquariums

More
14 Jul 2014 20:23 #12 by JohnH (John)
I don't know that version of the KB treatment, but and earlier one was called WS3 and the original of that was pretty good but later I think they changed the formula (probably to appease our masters in Brussels) but it should do the trick - the important thing is that you've increased the water temperature since this speeds up the metabolism of the parasite since it's immune from medication until it leaves the fish.
So it should do the trick then.
As usual, please keep the Forum informed as to how the regime progresses.

John

ITFS member.

More
15 Jul 2014 18:37 #13 by theresa. (Theresa O Brien)
John.
Just to update you, I have lost 5 fish since last night and today due to that horrid white spot, One fish left with it and the other 8 are fine,

More
15 Jul 2014 19:00 #14 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

John.
Just to update you, I have lost 5 fish since last night and today due to that horrid white spot, One fish left with it and the other 8 are fine,

Did you use salt?
i cured white spot in a tank full of discus only with salt. no need for aquarium salt the Tesco salt is enough.

More
15 Jul 2014 19:05 #15 by theresa. (Theresa O Brien)
No John, Can you use any kind of salt?

More
15 Jul 2014 19:37 #16 by JohnH (John)
Theresa, that reply was really directed to Miami but as you mentioned my name I'll point out that he said any salt is alright to use.
I would have a slightly different view as table salt is not generally recommended in view of the fact that additional component(s) is/are added to keep it free-running.
Rock salt, or sea salt would be more pure, but that being said I have never found the need to use salt as a treatment for white spot. That others do, and find it successful, is beyond dispute so really the choice is yours.

I am so sorry you have had such bad luck with your fishkeeping 'adventure' this far and I bet you are feeling pretty disheartened with it all, but once you have overcome white spot once it becomes comparative plain sailing to deal with it if it ever reappears.

I do hope your losses stop at five and that the others don't become afflicted with it.

John

ITFS member.

More
15 Jul 2014 19:53 #17 by theresa. (Theresa O Brien)
I hope so John, It is sure a bit hear breaking alright, None of the other 8 fish are affected, So hopefully that is good news, Do I change water soon or do i leave it for another few days,

More
15 Jul 2014 20:44 - 15 Jul 2014 20:45 #18 by JohnH (John)
I should wait - all spots are now gone, but the instructions are for another dose 48 hours after they've gone and then the water change 48 hours after that. To be on the safe side I would follow these totally.
It's when the spots are off the fish that they have actually burst open, releasing their spores (eggs, if you like) and it's at this stage the treatment has a chance to 'do its stuff'.
The additional 48 hours is to make doubly sure that no spores survived (at least that's my understanding of it).
If there are still no spots after the final 48 hours you can slowly let the water temperature reduce by turning down the thermostat - but this should be done in stages over a day or so - in other words don't just change the setting from 33 (if that's what you ended up with it being) down to 26 (or, again, what it had been before).
I hope that's the end of your fish losses.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 15 Jul 2014 20:45 by JohnH (John). Reason: Spelling

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds