Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Treatments

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • apistodiscus (apistodiscus)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 May 2007 07:46 #1 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Treatments was created by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Thought I just do a quick collection of the most common treatments used for fish since the questions come up again and again:

skin infections:

Acrilavin: good against dinoflagellates and Oodium, however, very light sensitive and will kill eggs, fry and plants. Destroys the parasites DNA. Effectiveness depends on pH
Dosage 10mg/l

Malachite Green:best used at a pH under 7, also light sensitive and can be deactivated by organic substances. Dosage: you will have to make up a solution first 10g/l and of add 10ml/100l. After 3 days, 50% water change and filter through carbon

Neomycinsulfate, this is an antibiotic and only to be used in extreme cases. 2g/100l for 5 days, afterwards 50% water cahnge and filter through carbon. Repeat after 14 days. temperature not above 28C.

Flagellates/ protozoa

Metronidazole will kill gram positive,anaerobic bacteria and protozoa such as flagellates. Dosage 0.5g per 100l even though when treating discus for hole in the head disease you will have to double the dosage and raise the water temperature to 33-34 C

Gill Flukes and Nematodes

Flubendazole: 0.2g per 100ml for 8 days, for gill flukes repeat after 10 days

Levamisole
works extremely fast since it is absorbeb through the skin and gastro-intestinal tract
3g/100ml water for 3 days

Tapeworms/Gill and Body Flukes:

Praziquantel trade name Droncit (made by Bayer).

Dosage 20ml per 100l, 2-3 hours for gill and body flukes, 3 hours for tapeworms

Ichyto/costia/flexibacter/trichodina

FMC which a solution of 37% formalin. dosage 1-1.2ml per 100l. Repeat treatment twice after a break of 3 days

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 May 2007 08:15 #2 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Meds
Another good post. and another reason why we need an Archives and Emergency post!!!!

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 May 2007 08:18 #3 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Meds
Also on the light sensitve side, check to see if you need to switch off your U/V!!!

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • apistodiscus (apistodiscus)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 May 2007 08:25 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Treatments
Acrilavin, malchite green are (as I mentioned), metrodinazole is as well whic I forgot to mention

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds