Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

bristle nose problem

More
11 Aug 2014 00:17 #1 by alan 64 (alan)
Hi guys my male bristlenose today is staying up in a corner where he looks like he is collecting air bubbles from the filter outlet even sometimes the tip of his nose is above the water line, amonia 0 nitrate and nitrite 0, fed him cucumber two days ago other than that nothing ove the ordinary

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2014 00:38 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Usually this is associated with poor water quality, low oxygen levels in the tank or parasites.

But It could also be the cucumber if the skin is not removed.
Sometimes pesticides are used and can poison the plecos.

You water seems fine so lets rule that out for now.

Even if you think the oxygen levels is high in the tank increase it. Plecos normally only go to the surface for more oxygen.

Check the other fish in the tank for white spot, velvet etc. any flicking, scratching or even the fish swimming higher up in the water.
Plecos may not show sighns of parasites on themselves. But they get in on the gills and suffocate them. So they need a lot more oxygen.

More
11 Aug 2014 00:45 #3 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic bristle nose problem
no other signs of anything on the other fish and he is the only one displaying this behaviour so I am thinking maybe the cucumber

More
11 Aug 2014 00:57 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Ok catch him and look under the mouth, the base of his fins, the flanks, the anus and the top of his head. Look for signs of redness.
Also look at the stomach area and see if it is very dark looking.

These are some of the signs of bacterial infections in plecos. Something they are prone too.

More
11 Aug 2014 09:13 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Hope you get to the bottom of the issue.
A friend recently had the same issue and didnt catch it in time.

Belly was distended and some redening around vent and gills etc.

More
11 Aug 2014 13:06 #6 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic bristle nose problem
He might be just happy up there..........Could he be getting harassed in any way by other fish in the daylight hours?......I had one quite recently that spent all the day time hours at the top end of a heater about 1-2 cm from the water surface because of a group of fish bugging him around the clock but was seriously active after lights out..............Had to move him on unfortunately for his own well being as he started to get a little brave during the day and would venture down to the vultures!!!

Hope it's nothing serious dude!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
11 Aug 2014 13:41 #7 by alan 64 (alan)
no there is noting bullying him he is actualy the boss in the tank nobody messes with him but it kind of sounds familiar to what hammy said as his belly is a little bloated but I don't see any redness on him anywhere, I have some wormer plus there so I dosed the tank so fingers crossed

More
11 Aug 2014 20:25 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Keep the oxygen levels high and your fingers crossed.

More
11 Aug 2014 21:25 #9 by alan 64 (alan)
Lots of oxygen going in Dar cheers mate

More
11 Aug 2014 22:31 #10 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic bristle nose problem
Was going to say don't medicate but it looks like it's too late for that!! He could be just a bit of a fatty that needs a bit of flushing out thats all...................without seeing a picture it's hard to give a good guess but going by everything you said i would of said do a large water change,increase oxygen levels (as was said) and then add 'Epsom' salt..........Best flusher outer around :) ha

Anyway all the best man,keep us posted

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds