Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Organic Aqua

More
11 Aug 2014 19:33 #1 by apm (Andy McKenna)
Read about OA on this forum and thought I'd give it a try ,bought air pump to increase oxygen ,stocked up on OA.
But the instructions on the box don't give much info , so looked on the OA site , not exactly a lot on there . Luckily I trawled through this forum , at length ,learned that OA does not do well at low PH levels , does not suit planted tanks , the plant fertilizer OA recomended to use on a forum discussion is not mentioned on their site.
While I'm sure some people find OA does well in certain situations I do feel the basic info on ph and plants should be on the instructions on the website , also the stockist I bought OA from gives only the info from the OA website , misleading .
am using the medication pack only, as that has good feedback,but still feel conned.
The lesson being read all info available on this forum first.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2014 12:05 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Im sorry that you feel you have been conned, but I hope you dont feel that way cause of information you have read on here....
I myself have used OA in 3 tanks at different times!!! Great results every time from my own experience!

But with everything you do have to do your own research before you go adding something to your tank!
I have friends that swear by certain process's and proceedures..... unfortunately when I replicated these, I had MAJOR issues in my tanks!
Unfortunately it seems that something that works for one wont necessarily work for All!!!!

Best of luck

Neil

More
12 Aug 2014 12:26 #3 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Organic Aqua
Worked for me and still does.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
12 Aug 2014 12:35 #4 by apm (Andy McKenna)
Replied by apm (Andy McKenna) on topic Organic Aqua
Certainly do not feel conned by anything I read on this site , I'm very grateful
for the information I found on here which saved me a lot of problems ,luckily i did research OA before using it . Just feel conned that the manufacturers and distributors do not provide full info either with the product or online.
Anyway glad OA worked well for you , as a matter of interest do you have low ph. or lots of plants in your tanks ? These two issues seem to be the biggest problem.
best wishes,Andy

More
12 Aug 2014 13:33 #5 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Organic Aqua
All types of water, Fish and plants, the only issue is that you cannot reliably test the perameters, this product comes into its own when used to start a Tank and add fish straight away, especially good when setting up a quarantine tank or when you need to isolate fish that have been injured etc.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
12 Aug 2014 13:44 #6 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Organic Aqua
I'm with Amp on this.........i have a starter and maintenance pack i bought maybe 8-9 months ago but i haven't used it yet because i can't find enough information on it regarding what affect it has in different tank conditions..........There website gives very little and very basic info which is disappointing considering what your using it for,and apart from bits and pieces i picked up on forums about it,i really no very little about it!!

Surely testing was done on many tank conditions when they were inventing this stuff so why not have more info on there site?

Many people are saying it works for them,and i'm sure it does but i'll be needing a lot more info on it before i'll be using it.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
12 Aug 2014 14:27 #7 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
My ph is normally around 6.4 or so for the sa setup then around 7.4 on the other 2 tanks
I read about the instability of low ph tanks but a friend who been using it for alot longer than I have kept fish assured me it was safe in his opinion! Only for that I might not have used it either to be honest

Neil

More
12 Aug 2014 16:20 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
There is a very long and detailed tread about this on the forum somewhere.

I agree the manufacturers give very little info on there products. They won't even give the distributors any decent info.

IMO regarding very soft water with a low ph (4-6) I would recommend changing water every 3 weeks instead of 4 weeks.
Once the ph is above 6 and kh+gh are above 2 changing water every 4 weeks is fine.
The harder the water and the higher the ph (to a point) the better it seems to work.
It can work in planted tanks but not with Co2. You need to much surface movement to keep Co2 in the water.
There own plant food IME is not great.

More
12 Aug 2014 17:09 #9 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
As Platy252 indicates above.....the info from the manufacturers is pants.
I told the supplier here that the manufacturer's website is the biggest enemy to the product and that it needs to change.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
12 Aug 2014 17:35 #10 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Organic Aqua

There is a very long and detailed tread about this on the forum somewhere.

I agree the manufacturers give very little info on there products. They won't even give the distributors any decent info.

IMO regarding very soft water with a low ph (4-6) I would recommend changing water every 3 weeks instead of 4 weeks.
Once the ph is above 6 and kh+gh are above 2 changing water every 4 weeks is fine.
The harder the water and the higher the ph (to a point) the better it seems to work.
It can work in planted tanks but not with Co2. You need to much surface movement to keep Co2 in the water.
There own plant food IME is not great.

Here's the thread - started by Derek way back.
www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php?optio...797&Itemid=200#39797

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
12 Aug 2014 17:47 #11 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Organic Aqua
I use it on my cichlid thank and it's great I've never had a sick fish but that's high ph, the only thing I found out a few months into use is that I wasn't getting the growth rate on the fish as the water changes were down to just once a month, so now I use carbon to remove the growth stunting hormone the fish release and syphon the gravel once a week to remove excess waste and this does no harm and the fish are growing better now, but it is not recommended for growing fish in and maybee that should of been pointed out on there site

More
12 Aug 2014 17:57 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

I use it on my cichlid thank and it's great I've never had a sick fish but that's high ph, the only thing I found out a few months into use is that I wasn't getting the growth rate on the fish as the water changes were down to just once a month, so now I use carbon to remove the growth stunting hormone the fish release and syphon the gravel once a week to remove excess waste and this does no harm and the fish are growing better now, but it is not recommended for growing fish in and maybee that should of been pointed out on there site

To be honest, when you read the manufacturer's website, it does not come across like they know much about fish keeping nor water chemistry.

ian

More
12 Aug 2014 18:22 #13 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Here are 2 more recent and extensive threads discussing OA.

one is JohnH's review of his start of using it (why did you forget this one John ?)
www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php?optio...id=101898&Itemid=200

and here is one that looks at the possible workings and pros-n-cons of OA

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php?optio...id=101898&Itemid=200

ian

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds