Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sick Angelfish

More
17 Aug 2014 10:59 #1 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Hello,
I was out of town for 3 days and upon my return on friday i found my female Angelfish laying on its side. She also has one eye protruding a lot more than normal.
There are no other signs of illness on her. The fish were no fed for 3 days but they are usually very well fed so i did not worry. I tested the water water for ammonia and nitrites and both readings were zero. The tank was definitely due for a water change so i changed 40l (out of 116L).
she is breathing normally and I will find her in different spots of the tank but her movements are outbursts ie: when i got close earlier she got scared and moved but only to go lay on her side further away. The tank is populated by 8 corydoras, 8 juvenile angelfish and the big male Angelfish (her partner).

Typical comment but "all other fish are fine, feeding and active without any signs of problems".
1) What can I do to diagnose the problem?
2)Should I move her to a hospital tank (I have an empty 30L where i can throw a heater + airstone)
3) any other advice?

Thank you very much.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2014 11:49 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Sick Angelfish
I think your suggestion to move the Angel to a tank on her own is what I would do.
It is beyond my personal field of knowledge to identify the actual cause of the malaise, but I generally consider any eye protrusion to be a water-caused one.
As you've already done your water change you will have eliminated this analysis I guess, but I think your hospital tank should contain all fresh water (desperate conditions (of the fish) bring about desperate measures).
I really am uncertain what to advise in the way of medication - perhaps someone can offer a potential cure?
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
17 Aug 2014 11:52 #3 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic Sick Angelfish
Did the male give her a hard time by any chance ? I'd move her to the hospital tank just incase the male is at her or she infects the tank

Eric

More
17 Aug 2014 12:47 #4 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

Did the male give her a hard time by any chance ? I'd move her to the hospital tank just incase the male is at her or she infects the tank

Eric

Hi thanks for responding. The mate never ever gave her a hard time. Even as she is in a position of weakness none of the other tank inhabitants have been harassing her in any way. John if you read this the water test i did before changing water and had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, i have not tested for nitrates. PH was low (towards 6)

will move her to a tank on her own.

More
17 Aug 2014 13:33 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Sick Angelfish
Yes, I had read your water-test results - but was saying that 'bloated' eyes can be a consequence of something not being right in the water but by doing the change you had eliminated that potential, especially if high nitrates might be in any way a cause.

And, just sometimes, there can be a fault in water which doesn't show up in our pretty basic testing equipment.

I think a call should go out to Mr IGM...

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
17 Aug 2014 14:49 #6 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Sick Angelfish
in my experience any fish i had with a protruding eye is very sick and i never had any recover sorry to say and the move to the hospital thank may finish her off but i dont think u have a choice

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds