Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Big white spot

More
24 Sep 2014 21:07 - 25 Sep 2014 09:26 #1 by RosieJoe (Ronan K)
In the last few days I've noticed a big white spot on my firemouths head. I've checked the fish disease thread and came across one called Hole in the Head which says is mainly found in cichlids and is "Small pus filled pits over head". Just wanted to double check. Here are a few photos of him

Last edit: 25 Sep 2014 09:26 by JohnH (John). Reason: Rotated pics

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2014 09:30 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Big white spot
It does look very much like your suggestion.

Waterlife Octozin is about your best medication to use, in my opinion.

Follow the instructions totally (as with all medications) and let's hope it hasn't progressed too far.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
25 Sep 2014 09:34 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Id agree with John on the medication. Its whats always been recommended to me for such a problem!!!!

the sooner its treated the better, It can be a horrible disease / problem

More
25 Sep 2014 10:15 #4 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic Big white spot
How's the water? I would up the water changes as well

More
25 Sep 2014 10:37 #5 by RosieJoe (Ronan K)
Replied by RosieJoe (Ronan K) on topic Big white spot

I usually do a weekly water change but I think I'll do slightly smaller ones every 2 days to improve quality.

More
25 Sep 2014 10:49 #6 by JohnH (John)

I usually do a weekly water change but I think I'll do slightly smaller ones every 2 days to improve quality.

If you're going to do the treatment you might consider doing a 33% water change in advance - preferably using a gravel cleaner (assuming you have gravel?).

John

ITFS member.

More
25 Sep 2014 11:02 #7 by RosieJoe (Ronan K)
Replied by RosieJoe (Ronan K) on topic Big white spot

If you're going to do the treatment you might consider doing a 33% water change in advance - preferably using a gravel cleaner (assuming you have gravel?).

John

Cheers, will do. Mind you, I have sand not gravel. I can still use the cleaner to skim the top layer

More
25 Sep 2014 11:14 #8 by JohnH (John)
You could do, if you do it carefully - it might be worth trying to stir up the free sand (where there are no plants) to get some of the mulm into suspension (assuming there is any) which can then be sucked up with your syphon. This will have an added bonus as it should also release any trapped gases in the sand.
John

ITFS member.

More
26 Sep 2014 15:59 - 26 Sep 2014 16:01 #9 by Mike53 (Michael)
Replied by Mike53 (Michael) on topic Big white spot
Hole in the Head for sure,

Cichlids are susceptible to this. it will spread to more areas of the fishes head and lateral line if not treated

HITH can (but not necessarily) be caused by high nitrates & or high ammonia due to too many fish in the tank or fish out growing tank and large amounts of waste that the filter can't cope. Check water parameters. If you find your fish are out growing your tank then you could add another filter or upgrade.

Cut down on feeding to reduce waste and more frequent and larger water changes are the best treatment, also check to see if fish is stressed.

PS make sure when doing water changes temperature of water doesn't vary too much.

eSHa Hexamita Treatment will treat this but it is not a cure if your water parameters are poor, hard to get hold of, not many shops sell it but you can get it on line. Any one out there seen it in the LFS ?

PS this is treatable.

Good luck

Mike
Last edit: 26 Sep 2014 16:01 by Mike53 (Michael).

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds