Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Urgent -Nannacara

More
10 Oct 2014 18:21 #1 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
Hey all,

I'm doing a full clean of the tank, everything out of the tank except the fish.

I've just seen this on my Nannacara male and I've no clue what's happened. It's on his eye.

He's swimming just fine, albeit in a breeding chamber. I've put some eSHa 2000 in on top of him too.

Can anybody shed some light?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2014 22:21 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
A little bit hard to make out.
He possible swam in to something and thorn the top of his eye.

Any side on shots of the eye?

More
26 Oct 2014 15:05 #3 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
So this guy has been hiding for a while, just thought he was afraid of the female... I just finished a WC and found him like this

It's like he's blind in that eye. Will this hamper him at all? :dry:
Attachments:

More
26 Oct 2014 16:42 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Urgent -Nannacara
Fish seem pretty capable of surviving with only one eye, indeed I once had an Angel which lost both eyes and - although it had to be kept alone (no other larger fish, but with Corys and Ancistrus) it survived for a long time like that.

But back to only having one eye - they do tend to swim around in circles for a good while, but eventually seem to acclimatise to their new status.

Just make sure there's no open wound in or around the eye - from your picture it seems pretty clean though.

You might want to keep male and female apart - in case the injury was caused by an over-zealous female.

Can anyone offer any further suggestions?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
27 Oct 2014 10:04 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Ive a featherfin syno that lost an eye 5 or 6 months ago, his eye now looks like your fish now. He still behaves totally normal. Treat him with api melafix to prevent any secondary infection.

More
27 Oct 2014 11:17 #6 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
Thanks lads

I released him back into general population last night and he went straight into the darkest corner of the tank. He's definitely hiding.

Paul, that melafix, can I treat the tank with it or should I recapture him and treat him alone?

More
28 Oct 2014 13:43 #7 by paulv (paul vickers)
It depends on the size of the tank, the bigger the tank the more you have to buy. However you run the risk of stressing him even more by moving him again, the melafix wont do any harm to any healthy fish, so its ok to treat the entire tank.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds