Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hospital Tank / Organic Aqua

More
29 Dec 2014 07:49 #1 by baan (Fintan Breen)
Hi all,

I need to urgently set up a hospital today. Is Organic Aqua good to use in this situation to get it up and running, or what is suggested to get it up and running? I could just do large daily water changes?

thanks,

baan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2014 08:10 #2 by trent (trent)
i had a bad expirence with organic aqua when i got my very first tank, i didnt know the tank had to be cycled, so i told the guy that owned the petshop and he said i could get the fish and put in tank straight away. id did as he said but the next day the 3 mollies i had bought from he where swimming upsidedown. but on the other hand i have a friend who used it on his discus and they are alright. he said that the tests dont work when you use organic aqua.

More
29 Dec 2014 12:50 #3 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi

I don't have personal experience but from what I have read and seen on forum, hospital tank is a common use of OA.

Get well soon to the patient.

Rgds
Q

More
29 Dec 2014 13:02 #4 by baan (Fintan Breen)
thanks for the input.

I've a discus that is not looking good. I need to move her/him today so I'll see if I can pick up some OA.

More
29 Dec 2014 13:07 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I've used it many times, mostly for starting tanks up and never had a problem with it. It does make testing the water for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates impossible. The other tests work ok though, I think.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
29 Dec 2014 14:08 #6 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Yeah I've also used it in the past and it does exactly what it says on the tin

More
29 Dec 2014 19:25 #7 by alan 64 (alan)
I use it in my African cichlid tank but I believe it's not as effective with low ph so maybee large water changes would be better and make sure it's the exact same ph as the water in ur tank and the same temp, as any variations might even stress this fish more

More
29 Dec 2014 19:53 #8 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Have you another filter or sponge filter that u can use ? squeeze the bacteria out of the one you are using now.
tank some water from your tank this might be some help till you get Organic Aqua. I have never used OA so i not much help.
Question to all of the above if you ise OA do you need to keep using it ? I was talking to a lad and he was told he wouldn't have to do many water changes once he kept using OA, i taught this sounded like crap advice coming from lfs

Something fishie going on here

More
29 Dec 2014 21:28 #9 by trent (trent)
if its for a discus just do 2 60% wc a day. thats how the asian breeders breed discus, and they dont even use filter. just a air stone and heater ( sometimes not even a heater )

More
29 Dec 2014 21:30 #10 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
You couldn't realistically do that here in Ireland unless you could store a lot of water at the desired temp

Paul

More
29 Dec 2014 23:22 #11 by baan (Fintan Breen)
thanks all.

OK, I changed slightly. My LFS didn't have OA. I was going to use an internal canister filter I had so I cut up one of the the filter media from the main tank (and replaced it with new) and put that into the cannister in the hospital.

I'll do daily water changes, but I just broke my water-changing heater, so I need to get me one urgently, cos... Baby, it's cold outside!

I have a seneye, so I've transferred that and I'll be able to monitor ammonia constantly.

I'm dosing with salt and melafix (for what it's worth!), but I'm really hoping that taking the fish out of the main tank will reduce stress of being bullied.

More
30 Dec 2014 00:15 #12 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
hope things work out for you fish are like the kids its never good seeing them sick

More
30 Dec 2014 16:31 #13 by baan (Fintan Breen)
thanks.

Any chance you have another of those heaters for sale? I broke the one I got from you a few months ago! Doh!

More
30 Dec 2014 20:14 #14 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

thanks.

Any chance you have another of those heaters for sale? I broke the one I got from you a few months ago! Doh!

i don't have any at the minute but i will see what i can do in the new year
how is the discus getting on did u get anything fro the lfs

More
31 Dec 2014 15:25 #15 by baan (Fintan Breen)
thanks. If you could that would be great cos I'm going to be lost without it, especially with the temperature of the water out there right now!

No major update yet. I'll see how things progress by next week and decide what to to then.

Happy new year!

More
31 Dec 2014 20:16 #16 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
I've used oa with no problems in both heated and cold tanks without a problem. Monthly water changes which would be great given the new water charges.

If you do decide to move from oa it is easy as you just let your filter build up bacteria over the month, do a ex and off you go without the oa. With the pa you wash the filter sponges in tap water to kill the bacteria

More
01 Mar 2015 17:40 #17 by baan (Fintan Breen)
Guys

I never updated you on these fish. I had one discus being bullied and had gone off food. I had another who was hiding, also potentially a bullying situation.

I moved both to the hospital tank (with a tank divider), which I had setup as above, using some of the filter material from the main tank, and it worked fine. No amonia/nitrite spikes. I nursed them both back to eating, and as they were away from the bullies all went ok. Used melafix and aquarium salt. Kept them in there for about 6 weeks and decided that they were ok to move back to the main tank.

Unfortunately, I lost one within a week of being back in the tank - I hadn't noticed her/him being bullied, but she was definitely shy. The second one is doing ok, but not 100% yet. Still watching her/him.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds