Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Stressed Puffer fish - help!

More
31 Dec 2014 13:55 #1 by KMcGuire (Kieran McGuire)
My posts don't seem to be posting on here so I'll try again. Apologies if i end up duplicating.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 10" MBU puffer and had him in an 8x2x2, originally with just one catfish and then on his own.

His appetite dropped and he barely ate at all and seemed depressed so I moved him into a smaller tank in the house and his appetite and mood improved and he went back to normal.

However a couple of days after moving him back to the bigger tank his mood dropped again and he literally went belly up when I was doing a partial water change. I've since moved him back to the small tank but this time he's not improved, infact last night he went over on his side and is still like that now.

Is there anything I can do to try save him? He's still not eating and is over on his side at the bottom of the tank.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2015 20:10 #2 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
You could try Organic Aqua - which some people have reported performing the occasional miracle.

More
02 Jan 2015 15:11 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Has he been treated for worms etc
Any sign of illness other than stress? Stringy poo, clear eyes, clamped fins etc?

More
02 Jan 2015 15:41 #4 by KMcGuire (Kieran McGuire)
Thanks for that. Haven't been able to locate it yet but gonna try a couple more petshops tomorrow

More
02 Jan 2015 15:50 #5 by KMcGuire (Kieran McGuire)
No issues with his poo, eyes or fins.

I noticed a swelling on his stomach this morning and after some research online gave burping him a go, but it doesn't seem to have helped unfortunately.

His balance is completely gone now which is making me think its his swim bladder? You'll see in the attached photo he's curled up on his nose now at the bottom of the tank.

He's not eaten in about 4 days now so getting concerned that I don't have much time left to try save him.
Attachments:

More
02 Jan 2015 21:25 #6 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Seen one brought back to life by getting salt baths try see if you can get any info on that

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds