Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

acclimating discus to very different water

More
12 Jan 2015 20:32 #1 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Hi guys,
I will be moving my discus fish to my new apartment this week. And Murphy's law being what it is i detected a very big difference in water parameters.
PH varies by from 7 to 8.5 and TDS from 80-100 to a new 210ppm. I will detail what i plan to do and please let me know if you have better suggestions:

1. Bagged fish will be put in a plastic bucket/tub with an airstone, maybe even a heater.
2. I will drip water from new tank to the plastic tub over the course of 3-4 hours.
3. I will place fish in new tank.

note: the trip between apartments is 20 minutes and the bags will be in styrofoam containers.

Any advice or suggestions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2015 20:48 #2 by trent (trent)
theyll be fine id say. seen someone with asian discus and they even bred in ph8. and 20min isnt very long for them to travel (theres people who bring them to fish shows and they are in there bags for at least a day.if you worried just acclimatize them for a good wile . hope everything goes to plan
trent

More
12 Jan 2015 22:40 #3 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Dont know anything about discus Stephane, but the drip technique is the one i use for my shrimps.
You will have to put a heater in the bucket as the drip being slow the temp of the water will go down to nearly room temp.
20 mins travel time is nothing...

Anthony

More
12 Jan 2015 22:53 #4 by alan 64 (alan)
What u gna do about the ph difference mate

More
13 Jan 2015 08:42 #5 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

What u gna do about the ph difference mate

Discus should be able to handle new PH as long as they are introduced to it slowly. So for now the goal is to let them be, test a few times and then maybe i will use natural ways of dropping PH slightly. My fish are not wild I must precise.
Since i want to breed them I may have to get into RO water.

More
13 Jan 2015 11:19 - 13 Jan 2015 11:21 #6 by JohnH (John)

Discus should be able to handle new PH as long as they are introduced to it slowly. So for now the goal is to let them be, test a few times and then maybe i will use natural ways of dropping PH slightly. My fish are not wild I must precise.

I would just point out, although I'm very sure you're aware of this already, that an increase of 1.5 pH is a really huge jump plus the TDS 'doubling' might also be significant.- fortunately for you they aren't wild discus...
I would suggest you try to borrow some containers and bring as much of your existing tank water over with you - this might help to lessen the huge pH increase. You might want to keep an eye on Ammonia and nitrite levels for a few days after the changeover.
I hope your removal to your (and your fishes' new home goes well for you.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2015 11:21 by JohnH (John). Reason: added quote

More
13 Jan 2015 11:46 #7 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Hi John it is exactly what I will be doing.
The idea is to perform a drip that will be 4-5 hours.
I was not worried about ammonia and the like due to the fact I am bringing the established filters as well but do you think the difference in water parameters could affect the bacteria so much?

I would just point out, although I'm very sure you're aware of this already, that an increase of 1.5 pH is a really huge jump plus the TDS 'doubling' might also be significant.- fortunately for you they aren't wild discus...
I would suggest you try to borrow some containers and bring as much of your existing tank water over with you - this might help to lessen the huge pH increase. You might want to keep an eye on Ammonia and nitrite levels for a few days after the changeover.
I hope your removal to your (and your fishes' new home goes well for you.

John

More
13 Jan 2015 12:39 - 13 Jan 2015 12:41 #8 by JohnH (John)
It can have a small difference, I'm led to believe, but there will be an almost complete tankful of 'new' water which the filtration system will take a little time to 'cycle'. Although your filters are established the bulk of the water will not be so my reason for suggesting caution is that it will take a while for this to happen.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2015 12:41 by JohnH (John). Reason: omitted a word

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds