Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Organic Aqua Query?????

More
14 Jan 2015 06:44 #1 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
The Organic Aqua people say you only need to use Mechanical filter media while using their product..

What I want to know is this..

If i used Biological media in my filters along with Mechanical media whilst using Organic Aqua in a brand new tank will the Biological media grow a normal bacteria colony over the 4 week recommended Organic Aqua Start Up period...

Or is it a case that once you start using Organic Aqua you have to continue using their Maintenance Kits or else the tank will crash....

From what i can gather after reading their website Organic Aqua does its stuff in the water and it doesnt rely on bacteria colonies establishing themselves in the Filter Media....Am i wrong about this?

Basically i want to cycle a new tank with Organic Aqua and then STOP using it after the first 4 weeks they recommend as a Start Up period...Can i do this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2015 09:05 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
It's how I almost always start up my tanks. I never continue the use of OA after that and. I think once your tank isn't too overstocked at the point when you stop using it, I think you should be ok.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
14 Jan 2015 09:47 #3 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
So would this make Organic Aqua useful for setting up temporary Quarantine tanks as well ?

Also Lemon Jelly have you ever used Organic Aqua without any filter media at all...i.e. just a filter circulating the water...Cos it says on their site the fish waste turns into a gas and is expelled at the water surface...So is there even any need for mechanical filtration if you were gravel vaccing regularly?

More
14 Jan 2015 15:17 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I've never used it in the absence of a filter so I couldn't say for sure, but that is my understanding of the product. I think I'd still rather have some kind of filter running though.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
14 Jan 2015 15:18 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Oh yeah, and it is handy to have for hospital tanks.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds