Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

seeding new tank

More
21 Jan 2015 12:52 #1 by alan 64 (alan)
Hi guys just wondering what are the best methods of seeding a new tank from an established one, I was wondering if I put a filter bag of micromec inside my established aquarium for a couple of weeks then transport it too the new tank would that work, or is it best just to take some sponge from my old filter and put it in the new one

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2015 13:51 #2 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic seeding new tank
Alright dude,listen if your not going to be setting up the new tank for a couple of weeks could you not just put the filter you will be using into the established tank and leave it running there for a couple of weeks.........Should bring it up to speed........Add a piece of Polyfilter to the new tank before you add fish and leave it there for a good while and it should be grand!!

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
21 Jan 2015 13:58 - 21 Jan 2015 14:03 #3 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic seeding new tank
Hey Alan I used to do that but found it to be a pain in the Ass, I now use Organic Aqua, let it run its course without cleaning the filter as suggested, I have100 Litre Tank, set up in my living room, currently stocked with live plants, 3 Male and four female Apistos Agazzizi double reds, 5 SAE, 6 or 7 corydoras, 2 L144 and , wait for it, 25 Embers, I was in a rush shutting down tanks and it was the only way to go, not one single loss to date and its in its third month!

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 21 Jan 2015 14:03 by Homer (Kevin).

More
21 Jan 2015 13:58 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Like ger says run the new filter on your old tank and Bob's your uncle,
Alternatively you can wash your filter media into a bucket of tank water,
Then run your new filter in the bucket untill the water runs clean and your new filter is seeded,
Be careful to keep on top of water changes for a month or so after,
I done this method last week without any bother,
Good luck.

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
21 Jan 2015 15:37 #5 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic seeding new tank
cheers lads im not I too much of an immediate rush and il take on board ur methods, I have some ada Amazonia in the new tank so I already have ammonia reading so I also have the option of just letting nature take its course so I will decide soon but thanks for the advice

More
21 Jan 2015 17:14 #6 by alan 64 (alan)
Or angel child's bucket method sounds convenient as the two tanks in question are in different locations, the organic aqua method is also tempting but would it be ok with the discus

More
21 Jan 2015 21:42 #7 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Hi Alan

I used Organic Aqua method on my Tanganyika set up, and I must say it worked perfectly. I seeded tanks before with media and that works also but it could also go wrong and may have to get back to the old tank as that happened to me before.

Organic Aqua would be my choice if I had to start with a new tank

Cheers and hope you post updates on your cichlid tank if you still have it

Regards,

Santiago

More
22 Jan 2015 00:30 #8 by alan 64 (alan)
hey mate yea I still have the African tank some of the fish are realy nice alright I remember ur thread doing it that way alright I just don't know weather il risk my discus with the organic aqua as I cannot test parameters with it and keep an eye on things if that makes sense

More
22 Jan 2015 20:33 #9 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Either method works fine...organic Aqua works a treat though and there has been plenty of debate on here about it....all positive btw...

More
22 Jan 2015 20:49 #10 by alan 64 (alan)
Yea cool well I tried this today to see if it works I emptied around 10 litres of established tank water into a bucket cleaned the external in it as it was due a clean, brought the bucket of water and all that came out of the external home and poured it into the new tank

More
29 Jan 2015 17:46 #11 by alan 64 (alan)
ok so last week i did as above, i already had some ammonia in the tank from the ada Amazonia soil maybe 1 ppm, today the ammonia is zero and i have 0.25 ppm nitrite and 5 ppm nitrate so im hoping i am going to have a fast cycle or am i thinking wrong on this

More
31 Jan 2015 10:43 #12 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Sounds promising nitrite already looks like the result you were hoping for hopefully it drops quickly also

More
31 Jan 2015 13:23 #13 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Looks like you are on the right track, but be carefull with the amazonia it takes a while.
I start all my tanks using the method that anglecichlid described for the filters in my shrimp tanks.

Anthony

More
31 Jan 2015 16:21 #14 by alan 64 (alan)
all parameters are perfect today all at zero so this method seems to have worked a treat

More
31 Jan 2015 18:42 #15 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
You should have a nitrate reading.
Ammonia+nitrite=nitrate (in very basic terms)

More
31 Jan 2015 20:09 #16 by alan 64 (alan)
I had yesterday but not today

More
31 Jan 2015 20:34 #17 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic seeding new tank
Would do no harm on the day of adding fish to put some quick start from api into tank I've started new tanks in the past with thisfrom day one from the tap and never came back belly up its good stuff and cheap as chips

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
31 Jan 2015 21:00 #18 by alan 64 (alan)
ah there is fish in now jeff so well let it roll bro, I think shel be grand mate

More
31 Jan 2015 23:00 #19 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Did you do a water change that might have reduced the nitrates ?
Could it be possible that the level is too low for the test kit?
With fish in now, you have a source of ammonia anyway.
Just test over the next few days to ensure the cycle is still going.

More
01 Feb 2015 16:41 #20 by alan 64 (alan)
few plants in there now Justin and I am doing 10 percent per day water all levels zero today again

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds