Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

moving fish to new tank

More
16 Feb 2015 19:58 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I have 5 ft tank up and running the sump is new so it is not fully cycled the tank is up to tempature my question is can I move everything from one tank including an extrrnal filter and put in fish straight away. Should I move the filter first then maybe a hour or two later move the fish I have a internal filter to keep the tank going while I move the external to the new tank any advice will be great

Something fishie going on here

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2015 20:22 #2 by Ski (Alan McGee)
I've moved fish at the same time as moving an external and I didn't have a problem. I would just make sure that the external can handle the volume of the tank.

More
16 Feb 2015 20:40 #3 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Tank 5x2x26inch sump 4ftx 16inch x 16 inch filter aps 2000 with uv it should be plenty the tank water is crystal clear with just the sump at the minute and I have been adding bits from the other tanks with bacteria to kick start the cycle on the sump

More
17 Feb 2015 20:59 #4 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Move done all fish settled in there new tank

Attachments:

More
17 Feb 2015 23:34 #5 by ger310 (Ger .)
Were did you get that stone James?........looks good

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
17 Feb 2015 23:46 #6 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Loads of it down here friend used it for the stone work all round his house. I picked out few bits at night so there is even better bits he might sell some at right price if u want some.

More
18 Feb 2015 06:46 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Looking good.

Question, I have an APS 1400 but I never turn on the UV, is it worth running the UV do you think?

More
18 Feb 2015 08:19 #8 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Looking good.

Question, I have an APS 1400 but I never turn on the UV, is it worth running the UV do you think?

I don't use the uv light and don't know much about the light i think it's only used in planted tanks to keep algae from growing

More
18 Feb 2015 08:21 #9 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Very nice James. What's the big fish at the back?

More
18 Feb 2015 11:10 #10 by alan 64 (alan)
Looks well James what lighting have u got on it

More
18 Feb 2015 11:16 #11 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Male red terror (festae) he reach about 18 inch fully grown and female 12 inch

More
18 Feb 2015 11:17 #12 by Ski (Alan McGee)

Male red terror (festae) he reach about 18 inch fully grown and female 12 inch

Nice

More
18 Feb 2015 11:20 #13 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Looks well James what lighting have u got on it

Thanks
The light unit is 5ft arcadia twin t5 one blue one standard nothing fancy

More
18 Feb 2015 11:29 #14 by ger310 (Ger .)

Loads of it down here friend used it for the stone work all round his house. I picked out few bits at night so there is even better bits he might sell some at right price if u want some.

Can you find out what it is man thanks

More
18 Feb 2015 14:31 #15 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Can you find out what it is man thanks

No bother I let you know once he phones me back

Attachments:

More
18 Feb 2015 15:48 #16 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Ger310
30 euro will get you few nice bits if you go for bigger bits it might be bit more expensive but not much more. Pm if u need more details

More
18 Feb 2015 17:24 #17 by ger310 (Ger .)

Ger310
30 euro will get you few nice bits if you go for bigger bits it might be bit more expensive but not much more. Pm if u need more details

Sorry James i meant could you find out what the actual rocks are,thanks man.

Ger

More
18 Feb 2015 17:58 #18 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Ger310

Ger

Lol sorry it's Natural limestone

More
20 Feb 2015 23:06 #19 by ger310 (Ger .)

Ger310

Ger

Thanks James.....it would be bigger bits i'd be after.

Is your mate in a hurry to offload it?,as apart from the fact they would be for a set-up a good bit in the future,i would also have to box a car to get me to your part of the world as i don't think i'd be risking putting them bad boys in the backbox of the motorbike!!

Ger

More
21 Feb 2015 01:05 #20 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Ger310

Ger

Thanks James.....it would be bigger bits i'd be after.

Is your mate in a hurry to offload it?,as apart from the fact they would be for a set-up a good bit in the future,i would also have to box a car to get me to your part of the world as i don't think i'd be risking putting them bad boys in the backbox of the motorbike!!

Ger

Ger
I have carried Hugh girls on the back of my motorbike so few rocks shouldn't be any bother lol my friend is going to use the stone for his house so there will be plenty for ages

More
21 Feb 2015 09:00 #21 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Have images of rocks flying out the back of a motorbike now!! tank looks well,glad the move went off without any issues from the looks of it.

Gavin

More
21 Feb 2015 09:51 #22 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Have images of rocks flying out the back of a motorbike now!! tank looks well,glad the move went off without any issues from the looks of it.

Gavin

Lol might not be safe if they are falling off thanks Gavin I took my time moved the filter first and had it running for two hours I used a internal filter in my other tank while this was all going on. Once I felt comfortable and the readings were looking ok i did the move I think one important thing is to have a spare big heater to bring the water up to tempature.

More
21 Feb 2015 11:08 #23 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Its a bit late now, but you could have transfered water across too.
Just check parameters in both tanks now.

More
21 Feb 2015 14:59 #24 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I do most updates on YouTube lol to much work to type on the phone I did as you say and moved water some gravel and plants to get the sump kick started I had myself more worried but it went well

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds