Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

White mark on dwarf gourami.

More
03 Mar 2015 16:52 #1 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
Hi does anybody know what this white mark is and how I should treat it? It looks like it could be a wound but I'm not to sure.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2015 17:40 #2 by JohnH (John)
Sadly I'm not sure of the right name for this, but it does seem to appear with increasing regularity on both Gouramis and Rams from the far-east.
It starts as a little 'pimple' then increases to a 'wart' (for want of a better description).
Eventually it seems to burst and the fish seem to go from bad to worse.
I have had limited success by treating the actual growth topically with salt - but this has only ever been a temporary cure - the fish dies eventually.
If you can isolate this fish and treat it with Waterlife Octozin I should think that might be the best plan of attack.as that contains an antibiotic ingredient.
As ever, with this sort of treatment absolute cleanliness of the 'hospital tank' water is a must.
Please post up your progress.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
03 Mar 2015 19:36 #3 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
Hi john.
A wart is a perfect example of what it looks like.
He seems in good health otherwise. It will be hard to catch him though. He is in a heavily planted 350 litre tank.
What size would the hospital tank need to be? I have a 15 litre tank lying in the attic somewhere I could set up. Might be able borrow a bigger one.
Is it contagous ?
If I can't get the meds locally I'll order on line but it could take a while to get here.
Will he suffer?
Do you think it would be kinder in the long run to euthanise the fish or leave him be?
Sorry for all the questions. I'm just not sure what to do??
Thanks

More
03 Mar 2015 19:55 #4 by JohnH (John)
I often use such a small tank for the purpose, it's handy because it cuts down on the quantity of medication needed.
If the fish is feeding I don't think it's in distress so I don't think it's suffering.
You might add a few (well-washed) plants to provide him with a bit of cover if you're taking him from a well planted tank.
It's hard for me to advise you on this but I, personally, would euthanise him when he starts showing signs of real distress, but not until he a] stopped eating altogether or b] couldn't stay upright under his own steam.
Unfortunately I don't have any more Octozin - I used up the last of mine at Christmastime and haven't been to Dublin since to buy more - otherwise I'd offer to send you some tablets. They definitely had it in Seahorse when I was last there (but that was aound September time).
John

ITFS member.

More
03 Mar 2015 20:00 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
SeaHorse defo have Octozin.....but if they have sold out on the day then down the road at Pet Stop in Carrickmines they have it (so I guess that other PetStops might also stock it).

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
03 Mar 2015 20:15 #6 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
Cheers lads. I'll have a ring around here tomorrow. And see if anywhere local do it. if not seahorse do deliveries so I'll check that out.
Thanks again
Tommy

More
03 Mar 2015 20:21 #7 by trent (trent)
i think you can also treat it with metrodazerin, there is a small amount in octozin. its stronger but hard to get hold of

More
03 Mar 2015 20:25 #8 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
Just ordered some octozin online in case I can't get it. Better have some extra rather than none. Supposed to be delivered between the 6th and 11 th.

More
04 Mar 2015 01:03 #9 by alan 64 (alan)
ive had this problem before with the flame red and cobalt blue types in my experience they seem to all develop this and at the end of the road die but I hope this isn't the case for u but its happened many times on me the exact same as in ur picture

More
04 Mar 2015 09:58 #10 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
That doesn't sound good Alan. Would you know if it's contagious should I be worried about other tank mates

More
04 Mar 2015 11:11 #11 by alan 64 (alan)
I'm not too sure I can't realy remember other fish with the marks but I do rem I had some success with esha 2000 on it but if it does clear it up I'd get rid of the fish as it will come back well that's just my experience of it

More
10 Mar 2015 10:31 #12 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
Hi

Im afraid my Gourami didn't make it

More
10 Mar 2015 10:43 #13 by alan 64 (alan)
id love to know what this is as for now its not a fish I would purchase and its a shame as they are beautiful

More
10 Mar 2015 12:09 #14 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I found an interesting link here.
www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hdhith.htm
This could be one possible thing hole in the head disease.(hexamita)
I know i have had this problems with Gourami in general. I also had wild catch pairs that were affected by this. In these cases it could also have been a parasite as many that are mass produced are not really cared for so well.

More
11 Mar 2015 23:00 #15 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
Would it be possible for an angel fish to get this.
My angelfish has some lumps on its body now.
Not having a good week
Attachments:

More
11 Mar 2015 23:09 #16 by JohnH (John)

Would it be possible for an angel fish to get this.
My angelfish has some lumps on its body now.
Not having a good week

Not looking good Tommy (although I suspect that's the last thing you want to hear).
I really do not know for sure - but someone once told me it was a type of Fish tuberculosis.
If you have anywhere you can put the Angel away from the other fish I really think you should.

John

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds