Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tetra Whitespot

More
30 Apr 2015 08:47 #1 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
For the past 2 weeks have had whitespot. Only the tetras are affected both Rosy & cardinal. The rams, platy & even the newborn guppies are fine. I have raised the temperature but seems to go no higher then 28 degrees. Carbon is removed. I have tried 3 different treatments.

Suggestions or should I just remove the Tetras at this stage? Have done water changes & vaccumed the sand etc. Feeling deflated about it all now.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2015 10:34 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Tetra Whitespot
Please don't get to feeling despondent.

Is it definitely Whitespot? Your fish have shown signs of this for two weeks - have any of your Tetras died?

Whitespot is one of the 'Crosses We Must Bear' in our Fishkeeping lives.
Unfortunately it seems to be developing into a form which seems more resilient and better able to resist available remedies but I have always had the utmost confidence in Waterlife remedies - their Protozin has always worked for any attacks my fish have suffered. Others have similar confidence in different treatments so there's no way I'm suggesting my recommendation is THE only one worth using - merely that it has always worked for me.
I expect by now you will be familiar with the life cycle of Whitespot, but it's worth mentioning - just in case.
They are protozoa which attach themselves to fish where they remain until they reach a sort of maturity then burst open, releasing their 'spores' into the water - these then attach themselves to other host fish and the cycle repeats itself.
It's when these spores are off the host fish that they are susceptible to the medication - which is the reason for raising the water temperature to speed up the life cycle of the parasite.
That, of course, is only a shortened version of the description and I expect you could find a more definitive description online if you wanted to.

I (again very personally) don't like doing water changes during a treatment process regime (even though some of the treatments suggest this can be done) since I feel it potentially weakens the effect of the medication, plus with Protozin it's only a six-day cycle anyway.

As to it only being present on the Tetras - it was always acknowledged that these Fish were the most susceptible to Whitespot - although there would appear to be no logical reason behind this.

Removing the Tetras would really only be a last resort move - and, even then, there might still be traces of the infection remaining - to attack your other fish.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
30 Apr 2015 10:49 #3 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Thank you for your reply. A few of the other fish did have the spots at first but the treatment worked for them. I lost most of my cardinals. I have three remaining who appear spot free. The Rosy tetra still have a lot of spots but don't appear too bothered. I have a large family event next week & was hoping to have the tank looking lovely.

Where do I get the treatment you have mentioned? I brought API Whitespot treatment today. I'm afraid all these treatments will affect the other fish. It is definitely whitespot & I have had it before in smaller tanks but it always responded to treatment straight away.

More
30 Apr 2015 10:58 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
+1 on Waterlife. Has worked for me. As JohnH says as well, don't get too despondent. These things happen to all fishkeepers on a long enough timeline. I just lost 9 of my 12 cave tetras quicker than I could do anything to save them. The final 3 have rallied though.
I've always told people that fish are in some ways more demanding to keep than most mammals. Give a dog/cat/bunny decent food, some exercise and lots of love and generally it's "job done!". Fish are fascinating, beautiful and yes, pretty easy to keep but also more fragile and entirely dependant not only on you maintaining them, but also their environment. What I'm getting at is, don't lose hope; every one of us at some point throws our hands up in the air and says "Screw it, I'm done!". Most of us are still here;)

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
30 Apr 2015 11:43 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Tetra Whitespot

Thank you for your reply. A few of the other fish did have the spots at first but the treatment worked for them. I lost most of my cardinals. I have three remaining who appear spot free. The Rosy tetra still have a lot of spots but don't appear too bothered. I have a large family event next week & was hoping to have the tank looking lovely.

Where do I get the treatment you have mentioned? I brought API Whitespot treatment today. I'm afraid all these treatments will affect the other fish. It is definitely whitespot & I have had it before in smaller tanks but it always responded to treatment straight away.

The Waterlife Protozin makes the water a 'greenish' hue, but it soon clears so the water will still look 'pristine' for your family event.
However, if you're concerned that the fish mightn't be looking their best (if still inflicted) you could just temporarily rehome the 'patients' for the day (in their tank water, do you have a spare tank?) but quite possibly this may have cleared up before then. You mentioned 28 degrees as the maximum you can get the temperature up to - this should be fine to speed up the metabolism process of the Whitespot.
This is 'pinched' from their website:
" PROTOZIN is used for the control of all protozoan and fungal infections e.g Whitespot, Fungus, Neon Tetra Disease, Velvet, Costiasis and Trichodiniasis.
You will require 4 separate applications to complete the course of treatment. By adding the treatment on days 1, 2 and 3 the product safely compounds in strength and does not burden the already stressed animals with a hard hitting formula.
The final dose on day 6 is a preventative measure to try and ensure the organism does not re-occur. PROTOZIN's properties are highly effective at treating all its target organisms.
Protozin is 'waterlifes' best selling disease treatment world wide.
Suitable for tropical freshwater and coldwater aquaria".

So they, at least, do definitely discourage water changes during treatment but a word of warning - you should do one before starting if you've any residue of previous medication in your tank.
I'm sure Seahorse do sell it - but in all likelihood most other shops will also - the small advantage with the former is that they will post it if you can't get to them.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
30 Apr 2015 11:54 #6 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Great thanks. I've had blue water now everytime I treat so I can deal with the green look.

I don't have a spare tank as the other one houses a Betta pair & 1 male Platy who was too aggressive in the bigger tank. The strange 3 some seem very happy together. I will try to get hold of the waterlife.

More
30 Apr 2015 14:31 #7 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Tetra Whitespot
I had this for nearly a month I finaly got rid of it with esha exit I thought all the treatments would damage the fish but they were grand I did a 20% water change before every dose so I could vac the gravel, what temp do u normaly keep the tank at

More
30 Apr 2015 17:06 #8 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Normally the temperature is 24 degrees. I can only count 4 Rosy Tetra today. Yesterday I had 5. Can't see a body anywhere though.

More
30 Apr 2015 19:42 #9 by alan 64 (alan)
Did u say at the start u keep rams in there of so what kind

More
30 Apr 2015 19:56 #10 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
I have a male & female German Blue Ram. The male spends all his time displaying but the female does not want to know. When I get this issue sorted I was thinking of getting him another female.

More
30 Apr 2015 20:12 #11 by alan 64 (alan)
If ur keeping the blue rams they like the water warmer so I would leave ur tank at 28, at 24 I think u will have problems with them and also u realy need to keep up with ur water quality for them

More
30 Apr 2015 20:22 #12 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Yeah thanks I can do that. I do regular water changes & use easy life. They seem very happy except the female is not interested in the male despite his very regular displays.

More
30 Apr 2015 20:53 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

They seem very happy except the female is not interested in the male despite his very regular displays.

Sounds like some marriages I know... :whistle:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
30 Apr 2015 20:56 #14 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
Lol lol I was wondering if I got another female would she get jealous & put out a bit more.

Whenever he goes near her she hides her colours. She must have a headache. I find them very funny to watch.

More
30 Apr 2015 21:02 #15 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Lol lol I was wondering if I got another female would she get jealous & put out a bit more.

I've no reason to believe that'll work any better with fish than it does with humans ;)

More
30 Apr 2015 21:08 #16 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
*Goldilocks has a glance around for any displaying forum members* :laugh:

More
30 Apr 2015 21:42 #17 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

*Goldilocks has a glance around for any displaying forum members* :laugh:

I am not a female ram, but if I were then I'd certainly be willing to help you out there.

schhh.....I am a female ram, but I don't want other members knowing that I they won't believe I keep other fish in my house. ;)

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
04 May 2015 10:01 #18 by Goldilocks (Noeleen E.)
I just want to say thank you to everyone for all your help & good humour. It is hard when you are only starting off.

I did lose a couple more Tetra but things are much improved & each day there are less spots so I seem to be winning the battle.

More
04 May 2015 11:23 #19 by alan 64 (alan)
Good stuff and keep up the water changes if ur keeping the rams

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds