Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

seeding new tank

More
14 May 2015 17:27 #1 by alan 64 (alan)
OK guys if I have a new tank and filter running and I add an external off a seeded tank how long do I need to run it on the new tank so the new filter is seeded

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2015 18:00 #2 by trent (trent)
Replied by trent (trent) on topic seeding new tank
i could be wrong but i think its 4-6wks but theres other bacteria that takes longger to establish

More
14 May 2015 20:38 #3 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic seeding new tank
I just rinsed out a seeded filter into a bucket and poured it into the new tank this worked for me before and the tank seeded in no time

More
14 May 2015 22:47 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Squeeze 1 filter into another or do a media swap, either have worked for me in the past! Go easy on feeding for the first while and plenty of small water changes and your laughing

More
15 May 2015 18:39 #5 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
It also depends on the bio-load of the fish in the tank.
Do you have any in there ?

More
15 May 2015 19:23 #6 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Depends on size of mature filter you are transferring to new tank and bioload in the new tank. If it was a well stocked 'old tank' with a smaller water volume from which the filter was being taken and transferred to 'larger' but equally stocked new tank, it should be fine from day 1. Seed the new filter with some squeezings from mature filter to kick it off. This is much more effective than adding squeezings to main water column. If you have any doubt at all just use some organic Aqua starter kit in addition to what I've just outlined.

I've done this a few times but most relevant was upscaling from a 180L to 375L with discus stock and I never had an issue...
Hope this helps!

Brian

quote="alan 64" post=180714]OK guys if I have a new tank and filter running and I add an external off a seeded tank how long do I need to run it on the new tank so the new filter is seeded[/quote]

More
15 May 2015 20:52 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
So long as you don't kill off the established microbial colonies in the older filters, the system will have a very much accelarated head-start (although pH and other factors will come into play on the speed of establishing a useful microbal colony).

Make sure the existing colony on the transfered filter are not sloughed off.

The system will establish itself in phases over time.........
.....a very rapid establishment will be the nitrosofying process (oxidation of ammonia to nitrites) will be noted. That is very key on a new tank.
Then the nitrification process (oxidation of nitrites to nitrates) will take a considerable longer time to establish, and the bacteria involved in this process defo need a solid phase on which to work and are much more sensitive to change.
Now, although the latter process can take much longer to establish than the former process, the mature media (if not killed) will start to work very rapidly.

But, as said above by others, do take care in the initial period with feeding etc.

Other biological process will kick into reasonable action with time depending on what bacteria are in the transferred media.

I would increase aeration during the initial period, and add some ammonia adsorbing zeolite (or similar) to buffer the filter system capabilities.

Take care with having high ammonia in the tank as that will kill or hold-back the nitrification process (remember the bacteria involved in the nitrification process do not take kindly to ammonia even though it is food for the nitrosofying process).

I am a fan of seeding a filter system from another tank (so long as no diseases are introduced and care is taken not to kill the seeding bacteria)...why? because it works.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
15 May 2015 22:40 #8 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic seeding new tank
Cool lads thanks for the reply I will keep an eve on the levels I think it will be ok the way I did it but thanks for all ur input

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds