Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

velvet outbreak

More
07 Jul 2015 17:19 #1 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Anyone deal with velvet before ? I've an out break in 4 tanks at the moment and have lost 6 fish and probably over 20+ fry. I've raised the temp and added a small dose of meth blue. I've nothing else to hand bar water changes

Eric

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2015 17:21 #2 by trent (trent)
Replied by trent (trent) on topic velvet outbreak
i hink esha does one that treats lot of diffrent symtomes and works well and isnt dangerous i dont think. you could try salt too

More
07 Jul 2015 17:34 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic velvet outbreak
Methylene Blue isn't really fully up to the job. Being a 'Waterlife' person I have used Protozin with limited effect in the past but doubtless - as Trent suggests, Esha's equivalent would doubtless be effective.
I have to confess to never having used salt, but that might hold the disease 'at bay' until you can get a proprietary cure.

Something sticks in my mind that total darkness is recommended now too.

I hope you manage to get to eradicate this before it does too much further damage.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
07 Jul 2015 20:29 #4 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Thanks lads. I'm going to some water changes again tomorrow and add a small dose of salt. I'll have to scrub the Betta jars and see how I get on. I've lost 5 future breeders which ruined my CT x HM cross and a Betta coccina male. Also the fry I lost are from the Betta coccina spawn. It took hold fairly quick as the fighters were fine Saturday. I was away at the hurling Sunday so wasn't in the fishroom room and yesterday they were litterly lifeless in the jars covered in velvet. The fry the same. The male coccina was the only one in that tank with it on him so I culled him

Eric

More
08 Jul 2015 08:34 #5 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
ESHA Exit..But it may take a few repeat treatments to clear up the problem totally..Its probably your best bet..Dont use in conjunction with salt...

More
28 Jul 2015 20:40 #6 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Well the velvet broke my heart . Even after treatment the fish were showing no sign of recovery and even getting worse. So in the end and fish that were sick were culled in fear of it spreading further to other fish and tanks.
In the end i lost my breeding group of coccina and nearly all my fighters. I was only left with 4 female fighters. I ended cleaning out the infected tank and jars , buying new nets and syphons .
On the bright side though I still have some coccina fry and I got a lovely metallic blue HM male off of Trent the weekend before last which I bred on Friday to one of my own breed females. Decent spawn too. I'll post pictures soon

Eric

More
03 Aug 2015 11:32 #7 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
You must have a common filtration system for it to spread across a few tanks.
Keeping on top of water conditions is even more important now as the added stresses involved in breeding on the fish's immune system need to be considered.
Hopefully you can regain your breeding groups with the new fry and continue from there, goodluck.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds