Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Swim Bladder

More
15 Aug 2015 20:33 #1 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
I think my angel has a swim bladder problem (sitting on the bottom, struggling to make it to the top, no signs of other infections) Water quality is spot on and did a 50% WC today too.

Unfortunately, I've no quarantine tank for him to go in so I'm asking, how can I make sure he gets some shelled peas?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2015 21:16 #2 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Swim Bladder

I think my angel has a swim bladder problem (sitting on the bottom, struggling to make it to the top, no signs of other infections) Water quality is spot on and did a 50% WC today too.

Unfortunately, I've no quarantine tank for him to go in so I'm asking, how can I make sure he gets some shelled peas?

IF it is swim bladder then add some Epsom salt to the tank (wont do any harm even if it's not......it can only do good)

'Deshell' the peas ok and smear with a garlic clove for a better chance of it going for it...........If it's far gone then it might not work but the Epsom salts is great for ehh 'moving things along' !!!

I know you say the water quality is spot on but could there be uneaten food or a dead fish somewhere you can't see as this is largely brought on by water quality not being up to scratch?........and don't feed any fish for 3-4 days also.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
15 Aug 2015 21:37 #3 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
Thanks Ger

I did lose a nanacara last week but I've done 3 WC since.

How much Epsom Salt per litre should I use?

More
15 Aug 2015 21:57 #4 by ger310 (Ger .)

Thanks Ger

I did lose a nanacara last week but I've done 3 WC since.

How much Epsom Salt per litre should I use?

I'm not sure of the correct ratio (yeh might want to google that)........I do just pour in from the tub,maybe 1 tablespoon for every 20L seems close enough at a bit of a guess for when I do it..............if you haven't got any you will get it at any Pharmacy,or I have plenty here your welcome to if your close to Santry

More
16 Aug 2015 03:58 - 16 Aug 2015 04:41 #5 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
About 3 tablespoons of epsom salt per 100 litres...

Starve the tank for a few days (3 maybe) and turn the temperature up to about 27 degrees as well Paul...

Put the fish in question in an isolation chamber to stop him being bullied...

Hand feed him the deshelled blanched peas seperate from the others after the 3 day starvation period ...

This might help!
freshaquarium.about.com/od/problemsolvin...bladder_disorder.htm
Last edit: 16 Aug 2015 04:41 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
20 Aug 2015 12:59 #6 by ger310 (Ger .)
Any update on this Dihanio?.....Hope he made it

More
20 Aug 2015 19:30 #7 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
Thanks for asking Ger

Still with me. Still sitting on the bottom. Epsom salts and upping the temperature hasn't helped. Won't take the garlic peas but is feeding strong

Worming treatment next, I think

Paul

More
20 Aug 2015 20:23 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
The swim-bladder problems of angelfish are different to fish such as cyprinids (eg goldfish).
Whilst cures for goldfish work for fish where there is a close relationship of swim-bladder to the gut, that relationship in Angelfish does not exist as the connection is closer to the brain than the gut.

I would be looking at anti-bacterial medication that targets, as a broadsprectrum, anaerobic bacteria........and if there is one in your local shop that can target bacteria specifically associated with swimbladder problem then that would be fine.

That said in the assumption that swim-bladder trouble is the trouble.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
20 Aug 2015 21:10 #9 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
Thanks Ian

Trip to seahorse tomorrow after work and I should pick something up.

- That's how he was swimming the other night. Swimming a bit stronger now but still sits on the bottom, usually against something, to stay upright
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds