Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

room temperature

More
22 Aug 2015 10:56 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Something that was said to me by another fish keeper has got me thinking how many runs there tanks a little above room temperature? my thinking this would be a big risk if three was a power cut or electrical fail on the heater i am thinking he was talking about keeping fish under 24deg. c

Something fishie going on here

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2015 12:06 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I dont see it as a risk?the heater is there to keep the tank at a certain temperature..its a 5 second job to check the thermometer each day in the tank and youve covered off if the heater is working or not. Effectively what your saying is running any tropical tank is a risk if the heater fails or the electricity cuts out...any decent fishkeeper will know this has happened.
Also everyones rooms are ran at different temperatures as are the tanks.

Gavin

More
22 Aug 2015 12:51 #3 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I don't think i would feel comfortable running a tank on a low heat i not sure what everyone room temperature is so i go with mine 19 deg c

More
22 Aug 2015 19:12 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
My room is usually around 22oC and the tanks run 2-3 degrees above that, so the heaters don't have much work to do. My panda cory tank has no heater at all, since they live in rivers that are close to the foothills of the Andes and are much colder. At one point I had all but one tank running at room temperature.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
22 Aug 2015 22:19 #5 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

My room is usually around 22oC and the tanks run 2-3 degrees above that, so the heaters don't have much work to do. My panda cory tank has no heater at all, since they live in rivers that are close to the foothills of the Andes and are much colder. At one point I had all but one tank running at room temperature.

You must save on esb how about water change does your water temperature drop by much.

More
22 Aug 2015 23:03 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Water changes are always risky but i know some damn good fishkeepers that add straight from the tap annd never a problem.in the summer i add 100 litres twice a week straight from the garden hose and never have an issue,i run my tank at 24/25c and the temp usually only drops to 22c at worst..thats in the summer though....in the winter i fill 5 x 20 litres drums and leave in the kitchen overnight (24hrs) and use them then.quite often the cooler water triggers abit of spawning.I dont necessarily promote not heating the water as i lost 4 gorgeous rams from a water change a few years ago on a cold winter when i added straight from the tap.the death was instant and i was gutted.So i let the water hit room temp in the winter now.

Gavin

More
22 Aug 2015 23:21 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

You must save on esb how about water change does your water temperature drop by much.

Yeah, far more of my bill is because of the cooker/oven/washer/dryer... I'd say this hobby accounts for very little of it. My water temp doesn't drop much during water changes because the water I use is usually sitting overnight in the same room.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
25 Aug 2015 08:23 #8 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
My marine tank runs at 25.5 degrees
My trigon 350 @26 degrees neither fluctuate much. Both are in the living room that's about 22degrees the whole time.

My trigon 190 runs about 26 degrees in the kitchen/ dining room heater set 4 degrees warmer than room temp

Neither of my snake head tanks have heaters in them and they are at constant 22 and 25 degrees respectively

In the summer my water changes are done direct from garden Hose and tanks may drop 1 degree in winter I warm the water overnight before adding to the tanks!

I've never had an issue

More
25 Aug 2015 08:32 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Since this post i lowered my temps to 24deg and all my rooms are about 22deg c all tanks are stable and the heater has barely come on.

More
25 Aug 2015 08:39 #10 by paulv (paul vickers)
As most tropical fish life in rivers and lakes with seasonal fluctuations in temperature and
and water levels, they are breed to deal with wide range of conditions. From my observations at low temperature below 22 the fish eat less and at higher temperatures they are more active and feed more.

More
25 Aug 2015 09:25 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

As most tropical fish life in rivers and lakes with seasonal fluctuations in temperature and
and water levels, they are breed to deal with wide range of conditions. From my observations at low temperature below 22 the fish eat less and at higher temperatures they are more active and feed more.

I'm thoroughly of the opinion that alot of the temperature ranges we're given are either out of date or just plain wrong. In my experience, most tetras are quite happy at room temperature, even though we are routinely told 24-28oC in most literature. In rivers that vary in depth, clarity, speed and riparian cover, I find it hard to believe that there's a "right" temperature in the way the books depict it.

More
25 Aug 2015 13:55 #12 by paulv (paul vickers)
Perhaps it's the fish I keep, but they seem to be happy with most conditions and adapt to temperature and water parameters. Any changes once made gradually and slowly won't affect most. As lemonjelly said a lot of what you read in books will only drive you crazy drying to adjust temperature and ph to minute scale. Knowing your fish's behaviour is the key to good fish keeping.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds