Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Injured Loach

More
24 May 2007 06:34 #1 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
My large Botia Modesta recently had this scratch on its back, to me it looked like it was scorched on the heater. After a couple of weeks it beginning to look worse.

I think he was attacked by the Convict Cichlids he was sharing the tank with. He's now in a peaceful community tank. The wound is now getting worse, i think it may be infected. The wound is white and fleshy but the area around the wound has faded .

I have a hospital tank set up for him but i'm going to have some job trying to catch him/ should i leave him be and try not to stress him out.

Sorry about the cameraphone picture, this is the only pic i could get of him as they are very shy nocturnal fish.

Any advice appreciated?

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2007 06:48 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Injured Loach
Peter,
I don't want to sound too alarmist and I'm probably wrong but the flesh of your Loach appears to be being 'eaten away'.
I have seen something similar to this on fish in my quarantine tank, so far it has only confined itself to Endlers and Killies, I've been trying acriflavine but I fear it isn't working. Perhaps someone with better knowledge of fish maladies could care to comment - I'd be most interested myself to hear any observations...

Hope I'm wrong, for the sake of your fish, I would just add that every fish which has had what I've described in my quarantine tank did not recover.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
24 May 2007 07:03 #3 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
You might not be wrong, i'm getting worried about this. Usually small wounds heal very quickly but this one looks really bad.

To me it resembles hole-in-the-head disease, in appearance anyway.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 May 2007 07:08 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Injured Loach
Try neomycinsulfate. Have a look in the Treatment Stickie in this section. You will have to get your GP to give you a prescription for it.

More
28 May 2007 05:25 #5 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Update on this fella.

Put him in the hospital tank over the weekend, the wound/infection was gradually getting worse.

His behaviour was not normal, he was in the corner of the tank upright (as if he was standing up), he wouldn't take food, he is normally a very greedy eater.

This morning he was dead, i had a proper look at the wound, it was as deep as the spine and to be honest i'm glad he's dead because he must have been in a lot of pain.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 May 2007 06:15 #6 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: Injured Loach
Jesus, tough luck Pete.
Its even more of a killer (no pun intended) when you don't even know what was wrong.

How do you dispose of a big fish anyway?

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds