Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

phosphate level

More
11 Jan 2016 08:51 #1 by robert (robert carter)
when I put my extra new e1501 into my tank just after xmas Darren in seahorse tested some of my water for said phosphate was off the scale .we added some phosphate remover into the new filter ,have just tested water this morning with my api test kit reading is 2 . what should it be in my planted community tank ? I thought plants need phosphate to grow . sorry for the question but as you know am only going back to tanks after being away for 20 years and so much has changed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2016 15:54 #2 by cichlidheaven (graham wynne)
hi robert

check the following

water from tap for phosphate level- tap water can be poorly treated and dependant on extraction point may contain phosphates & orthophosphates from natural and added sources(discharges to river)
do you use tank water from attic or mains supply(there may be sludge build up in tank which increases phosphate over time)
check you ph ( can determine what phosphate type is (hydrogen phosphate /dihydrogen phosphate)

once you investigate this you may discover your problem.

More
04 Feb 2016 16:50 #3 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Elevated Phosphate levels are one of the main reasons for algae growth along with High NitrAtes....Algae WILL grow as a result of higher levels of either, or a combination of both...This is also why we get different types of algae growth...Different algaes like different nutrients.....I reckon in your case your elevated phosphate levels are leading to you beard algae....Again im just sumising...Dont quote me on this!

Plants do use up Phosphates and NitrAtes but excess levels will encourage algae...From reading all your posts Robert I can kinda see where your algae is coming from....

Now this is another reason for larger water changes (depending on the Phosphate levels in your tap water)

If the Phosphate levels in your tap water are at an acceptable level then the Phosphates in your tank are being produced from waste (fish pooh,pee rotting plants, left over food etc) inside the tank......It goes without saying that increasing your water changes (once your tap water phosphates are acceptable) will help dilute your phosphate levels in your tank...The result will be less algae....

In fact in a well planted tank, reasonably stocked with the right level of added Nutrients, acceptable levels of Phosphates and NitrAtes, the correct lighting schedule and the addition of the correct levels of Co2 you will see little or no algae growth......

In my opinion an aquarium with excess algae growth is a sign that something is not quite right....Its all about creating the right balance.....And again in my opinion that starts with water change levels....If you change 50% of your water weekly you are taking out 50% of the crap and replacing it with 100% good stuff....This way you are always on top of the waste levels....

Somebody shut me up LOL...Im ranting now....Im sorry for preaching guys! :crazy:

More
04 Feb 2016 17:01 #4 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Meant to also say that a good team of algae eating animals in conjunction with all of the above listed will keep your aquarium algae free and pristine!

Now i will shut up LOL :whistle:

More
04 Feb 2016 20:37 #5 by robert (robert carter)
Thanks for your reply , the one thing I am learning is that there is a lot more to getting a balanced tank than ammonia ,nitrite and nitrate level, it appears that even if these are OK things still go wrong. What should be the correct phosphate level in a planked tank ? I spend a lot of time with my dog watching the tank ( she loves the albino corries ) and all seems very happy in the tank ,all very active , colours good and eating well, so on that basis I asume that I must be doing something right . Just reckon I need a few small tweets to get this holy grail of perfect balance right .that's where you lads have been brilliant for answering the many many questions .certainly going to increase water changes to 30% next tuesday

More
04 Feb 2016 22:36 - 04 Feb 2016 22:45 #6 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Dont mind me Robert...Im sure your fish are doing fine and living happy contented lives...Im just a feckin perfectionist when it comes to stuff and especially my aquariums.......I hate algae with a passion......Others think a little algae looks natural....I suppose its an individual thing...Topics like this are what make fish keeping a lifelong adventure that never ever gets boring.......You are not alone in the search for the Holy Grail of Aquarium perfection and balaince.......All of us no matter how experienced will constantly be gaining new knowledge and ways of doing things.......Fish keeping in my opinion is the most interesting hobby in the world.....So interesting that it becomes an obsession.........An obsession that leads to Multi Tank Syndrome :crazy:

Dont worry if the idea of more tanks with different fish hasnt hit you yet .....It soon will :whistle: ......Welcome to the land of fish keeping junkies LOL.... You wont ever kick this habit and even if you do you will eventually come crawling back :P

Fish keeping leads to divorce, bankruptcy, endless hours of isolation and an unbelievable desire to talk about nothing else :crazy: Enjoy the fish cos soon there will be nothing else LOL :P

Also to answer your question...Phosphate levels should be kept to a minimum just like NitrAtes...There is no perfect level....Plants will only use up so much just like they do NitrAtes...My advice is to not read too much into it and just try keep them as naturally low as your tap water will allow........Ya cant do any better than that.....I leave all the crazy chemistry to the real scientists cos it would drive me bonkers trying to understand all those crazy formulas............In a way our tap water decides for us as to what level of Phosphates and NitrAtes we can keep in our tanks......Its just up to us to keep them to a minimum for the health of our fish and plants and if your an absolute perfectionist like me for asthetics!
Last edit: 04 Feb 2016 22:45 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
04 Feb 2016 23:59 #7 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Gunnered , I had the multi tank syndrome 20 years ago at which time I had nine tanks both trop and cold water ,they went when the koi pond went in , back to tanks xmas2014 small tank then the current 350 , then the 30ltr shrimp tank 3 weeks ago . It's worst than being a drug addict ,but love it . I now have the best of both worlds koi in summer and tanks all year round . I value every forum members opinion ,and as my dear old dad use to say the man that knows it all is a fool .. l think that different people find different ways of keeping their tanks that work for them but certainly an exchange of views is both interesting and informative . Anyway back to the point if I can get the phosphate down to about 2 is that ok .

More
05 Feb 2016 00:19 - 05 Feb 2016 00:21 #8 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
This might help!

Note what it says about water changes!

freshaquarium.about.com/od/watercare/a/phosphates.htm

If you have a Phosphate test kit test the levels of Phosphates directly from your tap water...That is your starting point.....I would suggest that ONLY if your tap (supply) water has high Phosphates should you then consider Phosphate removal media in your filter.....I reckon you will find that the Phosphates in your tap water are pretty low (but this depends on where you live) This will tell you that the Phosphate problem is not in your supply water but in your tank (this is a result of overstocking, waste food, rotting plants etc etc)

The answer is simple....Dilute the Phosphates with fresh water that contains lower Phosphate levels!
Last edit: 05 Feb 2016 00:21 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
05 Feb 2016 00:34 #9 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
One thing this article says is to change 10 to 15 percent water weekly....Completely ignore that part.....They are talking about aquariums with extremely low stocking levels i reckon!

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds