Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Water temperature drop when changing water

More
05 Feb 2016 17:37 #1 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Due to all these posts recently I got to thinking about a thread I read ages ago but can't find again. Maybe someone can help.

When it comes to changing water is their a website that tells you how much your water temp will drop if you add 18c water to a 26c tank. The tank is 300 litres and you are changing 75 litres?

Or is there a simple way of working it out, like there is to work out how many liters your tank? LxWxH / 1000 = liters in tank

Does anyone know the answers about water change temperatures.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2016 18:36 #2 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
My tank is about 200L and when I did water changes the temp dropped by 1 maybe 2 degree. I wasn't happy with this so I just put a heater into my water change buckets overnight so that they are the same temp as the tank water .

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
05 Feb 2016 19:08 #3 by robert (robert carter)
this too me would be my biggest problem ,if as advised I change 50% of my water on a 350 litre tank I would need 7 x 25 litre containers plus 7 heaters not a very viable thing . hence I only do a 20% water change use water from the kitchen mixer tap at the approx. temp. if my tank is 25 degrees and the cold water tap is 12 degrees a 50 % water change would bring the tank down to 17.5 degrees which would produce major problems . I know I will get postings telling me about the dangers of water from a domestic hot water cylinder but to date it hasn't given me a problem ,water is of coarse declorinated

More
05 Feb 2016 19:21 #4 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
(225 x 26 + 75 x 18) ÷ 300 = 24 deg :)

More
05 Feb 2016 19:38 #5 by robert (robert carter)
hi Anthony don't get your calculation , cant see how adding 175 litres of water at 12 degrees ,13 degrees below tank temp will only reduce the tank temp by one degree, if see what I mean ,bearing in mind I am no mathmatision

More
05 Feb 2016 19:50 - 05 Feb 2016 19:55 #6 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Robert, i was answering Jonlate question :P, in your case the water will drop to 18.5 degrees not 17.5 ;)
Last edit: 05 Feb 2016 19:55 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne).

More
05 Feb 2016 20:02 #7 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Robert you should connect some kind of long hose to your mixer taps for refilling your tank at least....Im sure ya could invent some kind of device to go on the end of the hose to hook up to your tap mixer outlet......It would save you alot of work as regards refilling your tank....

If you wanna empty your tank without buckets siphon the water out the window with a long hose or down a nearby drain or down a nearby sink etc.....If you find you cant get the siphon going cos of your tank level connect a small pump to the end of the hose and drop it in the tank to pump out the water....There are lots of alternatives to lugging buckets of water around (which to be honest is a complete pain)....You Tube has tonnes of videos on easier water changing methods......

And btw your not the only one who uses hot water from the cylinder....I do as well...Never caused me a problem.....

Apparently aged copper cylinders arent a problem....Its the new ones that can cause problems...

More
05 Feb 2016 20:13 #8 by robert (robert carter)
With all the posts on this subject am going to have a very serious think about an easier way, certainly some of the ideas raised here will give me a good starting point , and thanks for the ideas

More
05 Feb 2016 20:15 #9 by robert (robert carter)
Forgot to add my hot water cylinder is about 30 yrs old.

More
05 Feb 2016 20:39 #10 by nomad (pat murphy)
I have a 100ltr barrel in front of the kitchen sink and fill it from the mixer tap with dechlorinator and EFFM,have a floating thermometer to register the temp and get that up to the same temp as the aquarium.I put a small powerhead into the barrel to keep the water mixing and circulating because as we all know heat rises so water temp then stays the same for the duration while I,m filling the aquarium.I have a pump in the barrel connected to a garden hose and the waters pumped up to the aquarium and by the time its filled you would barely see any change in temp.

More
05 Feb 2016 21:18 #11 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Robert I saw this on amazon....I just remember you saying you had a weird shaped mixer tap...This might be the answer...

www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-Indoor-Kitchen...149AK46RRJJ1X26C6X0V

More
05 Feb 2016 21:27 #12 by robert (robert carter)
thanks a million for thinking of me , my kitchen mixer tap is 34 mil by 11 mil , I don't think this will do as its really for round or oval taps . certainly what has for me come out of this topic is that the easier it is to do water changes the more one is likely to do them and increase the percentage of change . isn't this forum brilliant :cool:

More
05 Feb 2016 21:48 #13 by nomad (pat murphy)
With any of those mixer tap hose pipe systems I feel theres always a risk because you don't know how much hot water you have in the hot water cylinder,you could end up running colder water into the tank.
If you had the heating water on for the time you know it takes to heat the adequate surplus amount then yes I think they would be very handy and efficient.

More
05 Feb 2016 21:50 #14 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Sorry if im being a pest Robert but i saw this one as well....

www.amazon.co.uk/Kingfisher-Large-Mixer-...keywords=tap+adapter

Im helping Dihanio with some water changing ideas and you keep coming to mind cos of your weird big taps LOL.....I hope im not patronising you in any way...

More
05 Feb 2016 22:01 #15 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Gunnered, you certainly are not a pest ,I can believe the help you lads are giving me just brilliant , the more ideas the better ,going to bed tonight with the tablet and going to scour utube for videos on water changes

More
05 Feb 2016 22:14 #16 by nomad (pat murphy)
I always check out the customer reviews for a bit of added insight on an item before buying,has saved me many times from making the wrong decision :)

More
05 Feb 2016 22:56 #17 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Hi Anthony
Is the sum really that simple!!
(225 x 26 + 75 x 18) ÷ 300 = 24 deg
225 liters@26c + 75 liters @18c ÷ 300liters in tank = final temp
So to do a 75 litre water change (25%) will only drop it by 2 degrees.
I don't know what I am worried about using colder water.
Thanks for making it so simple.
What why I like it here :)

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds