Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

BBA all gone - what worked for me

More
29 Feb 2016 13:35 #1 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
after about 2 years of playing around, this is what worked for me.

a bit of history,

I keep discus so generally its advised to keep a good source of new water in the tank.
All my water goes though a charcoal and sediment filter.
At the start I was pushing about 1,000 litres a week though the tank

And the BBA started to grow, so i lowered the lights , then lower and lower until all my plants died and all that was left was the "still growing" BBA.

So another approach was needed, I decided to try and starve it out, I upped the light power and left them on longer. using a sun-rise / sun-set controller they are on for 12 hours now with a supplement of fert and easy carbo + Co2 @ about 20ppm.

Plants started to grow again (but so did the BBA), so much so that i felt the number of plants completely out weighted the number of fish so that a more natural cycle could now take place.

I lowered the water input to 130 litres per week. (1 tenth of what is was)

After i did this the BBA stopped growing. After i noticed this a added 8 SAE to clean up the rest of the tank. For the last 2 months I've been BBA free. :cool:

other notes ,
at about 4 months ago i lowered the food i feed the fish (by about 1/3)
Replaced the UVC bulb about 4 months ago also
All could have helped.

Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2016 14:00 #2 by robert (robert carter)
hi Steve, had a similar problem with bba as well ,what I used with an incredibly successful result was eSHa PROTALON 707 ANTI ALGAE TREATMENT cost 9.99 euro from Newlands . its a seven day treatment and it certainly did the trick for me. robert

More
29 Feb 2016 14:08 - 29 Feb 2016 14:08 #3 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
Very interesting, I might keep that on stand by, for a 750 liter tank. I'd need 2 sets :)

I guess without correcting the underlined issues, the algae will return (doesn't kill spores)

Anyone else use this?
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 14:08 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh).

More
29 Feb 2016 14:14 #4 by robert (robert carter)
yes as you said underlieing issues need to be sorted .I cut out my midday feed and reduced lighting to 6 hours a day . bba bad stuff very unsightly

More
29 Feb 2016 14:20 #5 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
i get the odd GSA now, but if i'm honest i much prefer that to BBA. Like you said its one of the ugly-ist alga out there.

More
29 Feb 2016 14:24 #6 by alan 64 (alan)
any pics of ur tank mate its been a long time since weve seen it

More
29 Feb 2016 14:25 - 29 Feb 2016 14:25 #7 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
ill try take one tonight for the group
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 14:25 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh).

More
29 Feb 2016 15:14 #8 by alan 64 (alan)
Good man

More
29 Feb 2016 18:55 - 29 Feb 2016 18:57 #9 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)

I know it looks like a lot of wires in the first photo, but keep in mind the tank is completely automated.

I just need to clean it every few months and trim the plants every week or so.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 18:57 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh).

More
29 Feb 2016 20:50 #10 by robert (robert carter)
Looks brilliant, you say it's fully automated what about water changes

More
29 Feb 2016 20:56 #11 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Very nice tank mate.

More
29 Feb 2016 21:01 #12 by alan 64 (alan)
Looking good mate

More
29 Feb 2016 21:23 - 29 Feb 2016 21:25 #13 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)

Looks brilliant, you say it's fully automated what about water changes

Remember I mentioned all the water goes through a carbon and sediment filter?
Well the output of that goes into an adjustable drip system I put together. The sump then has an overflow and drips the excess down the drain.

The entire system was constructed and planned before the tank was even constructed.

I believe I have a topic on here spreading over a year on design, ideas and construction all in 3D. If your interested in reading more.

Steve

www.irishfishkeepers.com/forum/40-tanks-...needed-now-installed
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 21:25 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh).

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds