Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Survey- Water test

More
15 Jul 2016 09:58 - 15 Jul 2016 09:59 #1 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Hi guys,

I`m running survey to help me with project on water testers. It is 100% anonymous and no personal data are collected.

It will take less than 3 min.

Survey link: surveyhero.com/c/4f90eb9

Much appreciated!

Tom

PS: if you already filled out survey via facebook post no need to do again
Last edit: 15 Jul 2016 09:59 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2016 12:19 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Survey completed . Robert

More
15 Jul 2016 12:22 #3 by robert (robert carter)
Just thinking about this would it be of interest if members posted test details of their own tap water , might be interesting to see results of different parts of the country

More
15 Jul 2016 12:46 #4 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Done.
If you could come up with a tool monitoring ph and nitrate in multiple tanks, i will be REALLY interested B)

More
15 Jul 2016 15:38 #5 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Cheers lads!

Yea Anthony, thats definitely something to consider. Many ppl have multiple tanks.

More
15 Jul 2016 17:53 #6 by paulv (paul vickers)
This is just a marketing survey for an automatic monitoring system. Give your email and they will annoy you with unwanted emails trying to sell you something.

More
15 Jul 2016 18:16 - 15 Jul 2016 18:30 #7 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Paul thats my survey ;) and I dont collect any personal data. If I would want to sell you anything I would put it under sale topic
Last edit: 15 Jul 2016 18:30 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak).

More
15 Jul 2016 20:56 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Automated monitoring systems for pH and nitrate are available.
The pH probes are relatively cheap compared to the ion selective probes for nitrate though.

Mind you, what is more important than having an automated/continuous test system is taking meaning from the results.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
15 Jul 2016 21:21 #9 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
There are some electronic test and automated tests but nothing commercially available for all parameters. Nitrate electronic testers are industrial, heavy and costly.

For sure it need to be simple to use too.

More
15 Jul 2016 22:33 #10 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
I have an electronic tester for ph which works fine for what i need.
The major problem i have is testing nitrates, have difficulty reading the coloured charts and testing the water for it in 20 tanks is a real pain :(

More
15 Jul 2016 23:00 #11 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

I have an electronic tester for ph which works fine for what i need.
The major problem i have is testing nitrates, have difficulty reading the coloured charts and testing the water for it in 20 tanks is a real pain :(

The nitrate test has always been a problem.
In the days when I was pleading that fish keepers test for Nitrates (esp for breeding marines), not many people took notice and I knew of no other fish keeper testing for nitrates at that time (apart from Graham Cox's group at Waterlife).

My own made nitrate test kits of then are much the same as used today in principle.

The nitrate test is not even a nitrate test kit in all of the common kits that I have reviewed............it is a nitrite test kit; and that means that it cannot be, by default, over sensitive.
That it is a nitrite test kit also means that spurious zinc or other reducing agents with a RedOx potential sufficient to reduce nitrate to nitrites will potentailly give false highs.

It is not worth my while to make my own pH meters anymore as 30 euro is so cheap............but electronic nitrate test probes are still quite pricey, but they are much smaller than my old electronic systems and probably much more stable than my old nitrate selection probes.

ian

More
16 Jul 2016 08:00 - 16 Jul 2016 08:02 #12 by robert (robert carter)
hi Ian I see cheap ph electronic tester on ebay these are only 5 0r 6 euro are they any good , I tend to be old school and use API liquid test kit , although I dont test so often once the tank has matured and settled down . Will electronic tests work if one is using organic aqua in the tank ?. thanks Robert
Last edit: 16 Jul 2016 08:02 by robert (robert carter). Reason: spelling

More
16 Jul 2016 11:08 #13 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Took the survey there aswell earlier.
Just to try give some more results to make the information a bit more comprehensive

If you dont mind, Im going to post the survey onto a fb page to get more results for you!!!!

Neil

More
16 Jul 2016 17:40 #14 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

hi Ian I see cheap ph electronic tester on ebay these are only 5 0r 6 euro are they any good , I tend to be old school and use API liquid test kit , although I dont test so often once the tank has matured and settled down . Will electronic tests work if one is using organic aqua in the tank ?. thanks Robert

@Robert………I would prefer to keep my local aquatic shop in business rather than save 20 quid ;) unless it were for a product that I desperately need and local shops don’t stock it.

As for the Organic Aqua think, I find the publication by the owners of Organic Aqua about it messing up tests to be a bit questionable from a scientific point of view (let’s face it the producers blurb would be better left off the product tbh). But that is a debate for another topic. OA should not have any unexpected effects on an electronic pH probe over and above any other treatments.

I’ll also re-bump the Ops post here…………

Hi guys,

I`m running survey to help me with project on water testers. It is 100% anonymous and no personal data are collected.

It will take less than 3 min.

Survey link: surveyhero.com/c/4f90eb9

Much appreciated!

Tom

PS: if you already filled out survey via facebook post no need to do again

Ian

More
17 Jul 2016 08:04 #15 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey Tom,

I completed the survey too. Hope it helps with what u need it for.

More
17 Jul 2016 19:39 #16 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Thanks guys, much appreciate it!

Neil, please feel free to repost link anywhere, need decent number to get statistic probability accurate.

Tom

More
19 Nov 2016 22:40 #17 by Cory_n00b (peter edge)
Done, did anything further come on testing local tap water parameters?

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds