Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

sick goldfish

More
22 Jul 2016 11:59 #1 by Paul B (Paul Byrne)
Hi guys I know this may not be the right forum, but I'm new to fish keeping and need some help/advise
With a sick goldfish.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul B

Goldfish With Lumps Problem

Recently I noticed that one of my goldfish looked rather bloated with red patches around the head.

(Before this the fish looked absolutely healthy but spent a fair amount of time hanging about on its own but always raced to the front of the tank whenever i came near and acted absolutely normally when feeding, like nothing was wrong with it). (There are 6 fish and the other 5 fish seem to be fine)

It was a very strange type of bloating with both sides of the goldfish looking unevenly bloated and fish swimming lop-sided.
over the following couple of days the uneven bloated sides of the goldfish rose into lump on each side and Small holes appear in the fish's body, These gradually develop into tubular eruptions with cream-colored strings of mucus trailing from them.
Fish Not lethargic, eating well but had a hollow-bellied appearance. Faeces became pale and stringy.

Unsure of what action to take next (at the time i thought it could be constipation, worms or Hexamita!!
So I Quarantined him/her and treated with food soaked in a 3% solution of Epsom Salt, add 1 level tablespoon (15 grams) magnesium sulphate to 500 milliliters of distilled water. Stir, and it's good to go.

I used an eye dropper or pipette to add to pellet food (or any other food that readily absorb it), and stop dripping water once the pellets become saturated. Feeding twice a day, for 3-5 days. (I went with 5 days) Faeces became bright red, After 5 days of feeding the 3% solution via pellets, the fish looked to have made a complete recovery & was back eating like gang busters.

So I returned him back to the main tank at the end of the week.
He seemed great very active and even a little more aggressive.

However it happened again, So I Quarantined him again and treated him with Epsom salt again. I continued with the quarantine for another 9-10 days feed him well and dosing his water with vitamins (eSHa minerals) every other day.
He seemed great very active, looked to have made a complete recovery.

However over the last couple of days the Small holes appeared in the fish's Head, gradually developing today into a tubular eruption with cream-colored strings of mucus trailing from it, and the fish is swimming lopsided.
Should I Quarantined him again and treat him with Epsom salt again.

I not sure if this will be enough.
Is there anything else I should do!
Is there something else it could be!
Should I treat all the fish and the main Tank!
Where can you get medications like (API General Cure)?
Is this curable??

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Obliged
Paul.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2016 12:59 #2 by robert (robert carter)
HI Paul. any chance of a photo , it does however sound to me that it may be dropsy, something that I have had very little success in curing , the body swells and the scales appears raised , some people say a salt water bath can help . hopfully someone else more knowledgeable than me might be able to help . Robert

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds