Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Before you submit a request for help.....

More
25 May 2007 06:07 #1 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
When posting a request for help can you please include the following info:

1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrATE, nitrITE, PH, temp, Hardness etc)
2. A full description of the symptoms.
3. How often you do water changes and how much.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water.
5. What tank mates are in the tank.
6. Tank size.
7. Have you recently added any new fish?
8. How long the tank has been set up.

You may cut and paste the template below and submit in your post:

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrITE:
nitrATE:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Length of time tank has been established:

Digital photo (include if possible):

Regards,

Ken.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2007 06:20 #2 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
The thread got over 1,200 view, and not one platy or gubby was added, with the stiffer rules on posting fish problems I doubth this thread would of got off the ground, may be you got the right idea Ken.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:25 pm Post subject:

I have found the Latin scientific word for the tank syndrome your have, its called "acuario procrastinatio" Its a syndrome when one hesitates to do things(procrastination), I guess that's why male car insurance cost more than a female, since men are willing to take more of a change on roundabouts or busy cross roads.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/forum/viewtopic...t=597&highlight=

Freaky just GO FOR IT, if you do not yet have a heater, put one test danio if he lives the night at 18C your tank is non toxic. Don't be so scientific, its only a freshwater tank, a bit high pH wise, but great for Africans, you dont need a NH3 test kit as if you have NH3 you will also have NO2, and NO2 is more easy to interprete NH3. Also NO2 is much more toxic to freshwater than marines, and NH3 is much more toxic to marines than freshwater.

You dont really need a NO3 test kit, best to spend that NO3 money on a calendar to plan for water changes as the water change will dilute the NO3 any way.

If you have that scientific flear/interest (nothing wrong with that), may be after keeping freshwater critters without any test kits sucessfully for 10 years (starting at 12 is early), its time to go for a hardy big mouth in relation to body ratio species marine fish only system, staying away for butterflies and small angels

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
25 May 2007 06:38 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Every request for help that's posted, especially by beginners, is followed up by several posts asking for these details. Hopefully if we get them up front it will save time and cut down on posts.

Regards,

Ken.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 May 2007 08:10 #4 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Before you submit a request for help.....
I like the post Ken. :wink:

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 May 2007 08:56 #5 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: Before you submit a request for help.....
Yes its an excellent idea.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds