Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pleawe help! Losing Fiah

More
13 Sep 2016 17:59 #1 by Jason L (Jason L)
Hi all,
Over the last few months I lost some fish and have no idea why. I have no idea why. I had water tested and all parameters were very good.
Some fish have survived no problem so I held back on restocking the tank.
After getting the eyes tested again and all was well on Sunday I bought some new fish, 2 clown loathes and 5 neon tetras.
Today I found one loach dead and one tetra dead and one missing.
I have 5 tetras, 2 otos, 2 amano shrimp, 1 clown loach and one rasbora left.
120 litre tropical tank (25 degrees) fluval u3 filter, planted. 20% water change per week. Keeping fish 2 years
I hate losing fish and money!
Please help

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2016 22:25 #2 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey Jason,

Im a marine person so ill try and help since its just loses your dealing with. What tests are you running on the water and where are you getting your water from, tap, treated tap, ro, ro/di.

Hopefully some of the other guys will be able to put there own ideas into this as i don't really know if there is much difference on health of fish between tropical and marine.

If you check normal, nitrate ammonia phosphates, it could be coming from your water through hard metals like Iron Copper etc.

Let me know and ill try and help. :)

More
13 Sep 2016 23:45 #3 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Jason , firstly would sudjset you check the amount of airation in the tank , i lost fish because of this and now even though i use external filters in my tropical tank i run a interal filter with a venturi on it , check your ph ,ammonia , and nitrite with liquid test kits that are not more than six months old , when did you last do a water change and gravel clean? . Robert

More
14 Sep 2016 08:25 #4 by Jason L (Jason L)
First off apologies for the terrible spelling in the topic header and the rest of the topic, I was typing on my phone and was interrupted by the kids! lol !
Thanks for the replies lads, I'll try and answer your questions,(I'll take a pic tonight and upload too)
Aeration is by 2 bubblers situated at the back of the tank.
The filter flow is set to the middle so there is a good flow of water around the tank.
I bring my water to my local Petstop store who check it with the liquid test kit (all normal)
20% water change done every week with gravel clean every other week.
I've switched over from treated (Prime) tap water to RO water 2 weeks ago to try and eliminate the tap water as a cause.

When I introduce new fish to the tank I leave them in the bag for about 2/3 hours slowly introducing the tank water, all done with the tank lights switched off to try and minimise the stress.

Thanks.

More
15 Sep 2016 12:21 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
A few thoughts

I would have the filter outlet at the surface of the water to provide better aeration.

On the tests have you seen the results? Ammonia and nitrite should be 0 nitrate not more than 40 at most.

Would be a good idea to have your own test kit, I don't test religiously but definitely for a few days after adding fish is a good idea.

More
15 Sep 2016 19:57 #6 by Jason L (Jason L)
Hi Comets,
I have the dip stick type test but mist invest in a food test kit so not sure about levels except being told and shown levels were good by the liquid test in theory store (showed me chart and results)
When you say use the top flow setting on the U3 do I use the venturi air intake too songstress it actually blows in air aswell as generating a flow.
Pic of my tank attached.
Thanks.
Attachments:

More
15 Sep 2016 21:48 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
It is good that you have seen the results rather than just being told "the water is grand". I was once told not to worry about the results unless they were off the chart.

For aeration you want surface agitation as it aids gas exchange with the air. It is not really the air bubbles from the air stones the introduce oxygen it is the agitation at the surface they make.

Make sure the ammonia and nitrite are 0 and if not then daily water changes are the best bet to reduce them.

Sera do a test kit not that much more expensive than the API kits in most shops that has many more tests like copper and iron etc.

More
17 Sep 2016 14:08 #8 by Jason L (Jason L)
Hi Q,
Just did my water change and changed the outlet on the U3 to the top so it's agitating the surface. Hope it makes a difference. Thanks for the advice.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds