Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

water conditioner wich is best

More
23 Feb 2017 12:42 #1 by Paul B (Paul Byrne)
Hi Guys
I'm looking for some help with choosing a water conditioner I have an aquarium with goldfish and some plants, I'm using Prime and Stability at the moment but I have been told with plants I should use Easy-life range (Fluid filter, Easycarbo, Voogle) but I think Tetra Aqua Safe
Is the same as Easy life Fluid Filter

Which one should I use! Any advice on these
Thanks
Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2017 11:30 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Hi , dont know which is the best product , but i use prime for my koi pond which has no plants because its cost effective and JBL Biotopol for my planted tropical tank and my cold water tank . Find both product good . I think there is a thread on this forum about water conditioners , (John maybe able to assist in finding it ) and if i remember correctly Tetra Aqua Safe was very highly praised

More
25 Feb 2017 11:47 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Personally I use prime because of ease of availability
For plants the easy life range is very good too

More
26 Feb 2017 07:58 #4 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
In my opinion Prime is great for value for money...

But The best water conditioner in my opinion is actually Tetra Aquasafe...

Prime binds ammonia...ammonia is a plants favourite source of nitrogen...So plants will consume the miniscule amounts of ammonia we have in all our cycled tanks even before nitrAtes...

So by using Prime you are technically starving the plants of a valuable nutrient...

Tetra Aquasafe is also full of good stuff (minerals etc) to help protect fish and keep them healthier...

The only problem with Tetra Aquasafe is the cost...Its pretty expensive...BUT the good news is you can buy it online in bulk (5 Litre drums) for half the price...

For planted tanks Aquasafe........
For all other tanks Prime.......

More
26 Feb 2017 11:27 #5 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
That's very interesting gunnered72 never knew that about prime starving the plants.

I have a planted tank and I use prime but I also use profito once a week and easy carbo everyday would that counter act the fact the prime starves the plants of ammonia.

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
26 Feb 2017 12:45 #6 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Prime will ONLY have an adverse affect on Nitrogen in the form of Ammonia...Because it locks and binds ammonia...As a result the ammonia becomes unavailable to plants...

It WONT have any adverse affect on Profito or Easy Carbo...

If you look at the ingredients on the Profito bottle it has various forms of nutrients like iron etc.....IT DOESNT contain NitrAte or Phosphate...NitrAte is technically the same as ammonia (Its a form of Nitrogen) Our fish supply enough Nitrogen and Phosphates via their waste so there is no need to add any more of either of these minerals...

You should consider spreading out your Profito dose over the week Craig...Fast growing plants scoff it all really quickly which means slower growers lose out...Divide the standard dose by 3 and dose every second day maybe....This will keep all your plants fed and looking healthier and lusher...

In fact in a heavily planted tank you can exceed the standard dose of Profito...More plants need more ferts....

People seem to think adding more ferts encourages algae growth....(Total myth)...Its only true of ferts that contain NitrAtes and Phosphates...

We all need to start reading the ingredients on our fish keeping chemicals and plant ferts etc etc....Half the time we are throwing in stuff that is just gonna make things worse or are simply not required...

On a side note (DONT EVER) overdose Easy Carbo or any other form of liquid Co2....You will suffocate your fish or cause a PH crash or worse still both and wake up to a tank of floaters...

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds